Help me with one shot lube build for b'port clone?

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
In cleaning up my clone and re-doing it, it looks like the one-shot oiler that was on it is.....tired. The manifold looked home made and I don't mean in a good way. It worked but....
Since I'm not sure how great a condition the system was in.....
and since I know the tubing what brittle
I'm thinking just bite the bullet and start afresh.

So, for metering units, I know the come with varying 'dosage" for lack of a better word. What number meters should I use for each area? The ones I have are not marked. I have one each for the X and Y table nuts, and one each for X ways and one each for the Y ways. 6 total areas, off of the manifold, along with a separate pair for each of the Z ways.

What flow number, or dosage, or meter number or whatever should I use for each? All the same? More here, more there? if so where?

You may want to use the same orifices for all fittings.
A small hole will get very little lubricant if larger holes are present in the gallery.
If all the holes are the same size, the delivery should be equal (or splitting hairs close)

You may want to use the same orifices for all fittings.
A small hole will get very little lubricant if larger holes are present in the gallery.
If all the holes are the same size, the delivery should be equal (or splitting hairs close)
Yes, sir, that's sort of what I was thinking. But that begs the question of what size for all the meters. I'm not sure, but I thought I had read somewhere that each larger numbered meter gave twice as much oil. That seems like it could turn into alot

Oil is relatively cheap, in comparison to the machine.
I would err to the over oiling rather than under.
Not knowing what sizes you have, i would consider large orifices and regulate how many pumps are delivered

Bijur #B-2495 for both Z axis and Bijur #B-2495 and #FJB-1, B-2496 for remaining locations. Reference pages 4-27 and 4-28 in the Hardinge Bridgeport INSTALLATION, OPERATION, MAINTENANCE, AND PARTS LIST for SERIES I MILLING MACHINES. This can be downloaded from the internet.

Bijur #B-2495 for both Z axis and Bijur #B-2495 and #FJB-1, B-2496 for remaining locations. Reference pages 4-27 and 4-28 in the Hardinge Bridgeport INSTALLATION, OPERATION, MAINTENANCE, AND PARTS LIST for SERIES I MILLING MACHINES. This can be downloaded from the internet.
Unfortunately I have a different set up. Mine has a shop made manifold with 1/8npt threads. the units I need to replace are FRA. And of course I cant find any. It appears the FRA units are no longer made and now need an adapter with another meter unit

However, I found some on ebay, but the rating is 4 or 5. I think that is a lot of flow, but is it too much?

edited to add, I can find the FRA 4 but the new adapters and fittings will cost more than double for each fitting.

Back