Help make lathe spindle

Asaad399

Registered
Registered
I am making a headstock spindle for my homemade lathe. Dimensions 30cm long,35mm od. 20mm id. It will be drilled and bored. Should i finish machine it and then drill and bore it in place on its own bearings? Or i rough machine then drill then finish machine using end plugs which is center drilled. Me thought that second approach will reduce distortion of the finished spindle if i remove that core of steel

I’d do all the ruff machining first and leave bearing journals and chuck register for the last operations all in one set up.

Reactions: rwm
Seems to me a combination approach would be best:
1) rough turn the OD
2) rough drill/bore the ID
3) finish turning the OD bearing journals using center-drilled end plugs as you suggest
4) install the spindle in its final resting place
5) finish bore the ID, MT taper (if applicable), and chuck register

If you intend to harden, the logical time to do that would be between steps 2 and 3. Subsequent steps would have to be either hard-turned or ground.

Seems to me a combination approach would be best:
1) rough turn the OD
2) rough drill/bore the ID
3) finish turning the OD bearing journals using center-drilled end plugs as you suggest
4) install the spindle in its final resting place
5) finish bore the ID, MT taper (if applicable), and chuck register

If you intend to harden, the logical time to do that would be between steps 2 and 3. Subsequent steps would have to be either hard-turned or ground.
Thanks a lot

Back