Heat treating kiln

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello all, as some of you already know, I recently purchased a trailer load of equipment, surface grinders and such and in the bunch, I ended up with an Olympic Kiln. It came complete with a homemade stand to boot. I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with these things as far as heat treating steel with it. That’s what the previous owner used it for. Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Does it have temperature controls that will hold temp. closely and accurately?

Have yet to even plug it in but it’s digital controls made by Bartlett I believe

With temp to 2500 degrees f. and a controller you should be good to go.
That was what I was told by the previous owner. I have never done any heat treating, especially not in a kiln but hey, there’s a first time for everything. I was hoping to get some pointers from some of the guys that have used these things

I bought a ceramics kiln and wired it up to use a PID controller. If you want to use it for heat treat you will need accurate temp control

https://www.auberins.com/ makes good controllers.

The ones on amazon kinda suck

Have not used it for heat treat but I have melted aluminum and brass.

I bought a ceramics kiln and wired it up to use a PID controller. If you want to use it for heat treat you will need accurate temp control

https://www.auberins.com/ makes good controllers.

The ones on amazon kinda suck

Have not used it for heat treat but I have melted aluminum and brass.
Hmmm, never thought about using it as a smelter. To melt metals and things. It has a temp controller on it. A Bartlett, if that rings any bells. Here’s a few pics. The strap was just for shipping

Attachments

• IMG_1861.jpeg
    IMG_1861.jpeg
    383.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1862.jpeg
    IMG_1862.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1863.jpeg
    IMG_1863.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1864.jpeg
    IMG_1864.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1865.jpeg
    IMG_1865.jpeg
    362.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1866.jpeg
    IMG_1866.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 16
Hmmm, never thought about using it as a smelter. To melt metals and things. It has a temp controller on it. A Bartlett, if that rings any bells. Here’s a few pics. The strap was just for shipping
I think you've got everything you need (except a hardness tester - unless you happened to get one of those in your haul). Next step is to find some "recipes" and test a few blocks. Make sure you're certain of what material you have, experimenting with unknown material won't tell you anything.
The Workshop Practice Series has a book on hardening that's very approachable and probably a good place for some starting recipes though I haven't looked at it in years.

GsT

I think you've got everything you need (except a hardness tester - unless you happened to get one of those in your haul). Next step is to find some "recipes" and test a few blocks. Make sure you're certain of what material you have, experimenting with unknown material won't tell you anything.
The Workshop Practice Series has a book on hardening that's very approachable and probably a good place for some starting recipes though I haven't looked at it in years.

GsT
Thank you. These are the things I need to know. Would have never thought about a hardness tester. I will look into finding that book as well

Back