Harig 612 SG spindle bearings

Old Bull

Registered
Registered
Just picked up a Harig 612 SG. all seams good except the spindle bearings are loud. I found bearings for $630 (set of 3). just wondering if this is the only "GOOD" option before i spend the $?? Not trying to be cheap, just smart!
Anyone have any experience with this?? Thanks in advance!!!

Do some reading about installing angular contact bearings before you buy.
If you don't get them installed correctly you may need another set.
I replaced the AC bearings in my mill but they were only about one third that price.
Joe

No experience with that machine, but I recently saved myself several hundred on Bridgeport spindle bearings by simply buying off the numbers, not buying "Bridgeport spindle bearings". In the case of the Bridgeport, they're standard 7207 angular contact bearings, sold as a pair which have been ground to give the correct preload when used back to back (BD ground) with equal length spacers between inner and outer races. £110 for Japanese brand from a bearing supplier, £500 as Bridgeport spares. Worth looking, you may find the same and save yourself a small fortune.

Check ebay, just type in the bearing number. I found new old stock Timken Fafnir bearings, still sealed, for less than half the price of new. Be sure to be careful, though, there are people selling precision bearings and taking photos of them out of their bags on a dirty table! Might as well just throw that money away...

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend Robrenz's youtube video "tips on precision spindle rebuilding." I figure if you go to even half of the lengths he does you'll have a fine spindle. I just did my grinder and I found that video incredibly useful.

OK, so bearings have different ABEC ratings. on a mill or other low speed/high load system ABEC 5 is probably a good choice. My surface grinder has ABEC 9 bearings. 650$ for a set of ABEC 7 or ABEC 9 bearings is a great price. My bearings will cost over $2000 CAD when I go to replace them.

Getting the right bearings is essential to good surface finish, and being to hold close tolerances. If you install ABEC 3 bearings in your SG then your accuracy on your machine will be significantly impaired. I believe the cheaper options mentioned above are ABEC 3, not 5 as specified by the Bridgeport manual. in bearings, you usually get what you pay for.

Note -- I have a BP mill that the guy who bought it from the factory always replaced the bearings using ABEC 3 bearings from a transmission supply place here. He replaced them every 5 years like clockwork over the 40 years he owned the mill. Since I don't LOVE replacing spindle bearings I've ordered a set of FAG ABEC 5 bearings for it, and am paying just about double, but they should last a lot longer than the cheaper bearings. Because of the way cutting works on a mill, the 3/5 designation won't be seen in the accuracy of your cuts.

for more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABEC_scale

Do some reading about installing angular contact bearings before you buy.
If you don't get them installed correctly you may need another set.
I replaced the AC bearings in my mill but they were only about one third that price.
Joe
Hi Joe,
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!!

No experience with that machine, but I recently saved myself several hundred on Bridgeport spindle bearings by simply buying off the numbers, not buying "Bridgeport spindle bearings". In the case of the Bridgeport, they're standard 7207 angular contact bearings, sold as a pair which have been ground to give the correct preload when used back to back (BD ground) with equal length spacers between inner and outer races. £110 for Japanese brand from a bearing supplier, £500 as Bridgeport spares. Worth looking, you may find the same and save yourself a small fortune.
Hi Lo-Fi,

Check ebay, just type in the bearing number. I found new old stock Timken Fafnir bearings, still sealed, for less than half the price of new. Be sure to be careful, though, there are people selling precision bearings and taking photos of them out of their bags on a dirty table! Might as well just throw that money away...

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend Robrenz's youtube video "tips on precision spindle rebuilding." I figure if you go to even half of the lengths he does you'll have a fine spindle. I just did my grinder and I found that video incredibly useful.
Hi ljwillis,

OK, so bearings have different ABEC ratings. on a mill or other low speed/high load system ABEC 5 is probably a good choice. My surface grinder has ABEC 9 bearings. 650$ for a set of ABEC 7 or ABEC 9 bearings is a great price. My bearings will cost over $2000 CAD when I go to replace them.

Getting the right bearings is essential to good surface finish, and being to hold close tolerances. If you install ABEC 3 bearings in your SG then your accuracy on your machine will be significantly impaired. I believe the cheaper options mentioned above are ABEC 3, not 5 as specified by the Bridgeport manual. in bearings, you usually get what you pay for.

Note -- I have a BP mill that the guy who bought it from the factory always replaced the bearings using ABEC 3 bearings from a transmission supply place here. He replaced them every 5 years like clockwork over the 40 years he owned the mill. Since I don't LOVE replacing spindle bearings I've ordered a set of FAG ABEC 5 bearings for it, and am paying just about double, but they should last a lot longer than the cheaper bearings. Because of the way cutting works on a mill, the 3/5 designation won't be seen in the accuracy of your cuts.

for more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABEC_scale
Hi Dabbler,

Back