Haimer 3D sensor

Larry$

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Just watched several videos about the Haimer 3D sensor.
Nice tool! BUT lots of $$. $500++ Replacement tips about $70+
How many of you guys are using one either in you hobby area or at work?

It’s on my dream list, but there are so many other things ahead of it.

Quinn has one, but I think it was gifted by a follower.

Yes. I’m about 95% a hobby guy (occasional revenue job). In Canadian dollars it is nearly double that price. It is awesome, I love it. I bought a spare probe so I didn’t break the first one (sort of like carrying an umbrella, then it won’t rain). I keep it set up on a tool holder for the CNC mill - it is very quick for positioning multiple set ups. I have used a traditional edge finder for years, it works fine, but the Haimer is faster and I can get the difference in the Z from one location to the next (each station on the table will have it’s own G97, “translation” from an arbitrary 0,0,0).

On a single station manual machine - I think it would be tough to justify. I don’t think it is really any more accurate than careful work with an edge finder - just faster.

I was going to say that I don't think its worth it on a manual machine, but @Chipper5783 said it first. A regular edge finder, or wiggler is just as accurate. After all it was used for 80 or so years (wiggler, then edge finder). For a manual machine, I would spend your money elsewhere.
If you do a lot of CNC, well, I don't so I can't say. The cost of breaking a tip just makes it easier to say no..

I use it on a manual mill for 7+ years very quick and accurate, most of my work is tight tolerance, wasn't able to get accuracy with wiggler and also have an mechanical electric for my DRO,but not as accurate. Requires 0.0001 DTI to align and stylus is fragile.

Back