Grizzly Industrial Reviews

BlacksmithED

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a 29 piece set of reamers from Grizzly. Picture showed them in a metal index box. What I got was a wooden box that will barely keep the reamers in place. They just sit in shallow depressions. One bump while the box is open and they will all spill out of the box and into each other. On Grizzly, there were 2 reviews shown for the set, but the reviews are blank. I wrote a review about being disappointed in getting a wooden box instead of the metal case shown in the picture. I wrote it over a week ago, and it never showed up. The page still states that there are 2 reviews, and they are still blank. There are NO reviews for the item.
Have you people found that Grizzly reviews are misleading? Are their tools OK, or are they on a par with Harbor Freight?

I have been very happy with several machines that I have bought from Grizzly, but for tooling, not so much.

A few things I bought from them I wasn’t happy . V block set comes to me first . They weren’t ground the same from the center to the sides , I didn’t realize it until I had them for some time .

A return is a great review. it says not worthy of keeping.
I find HF plays the game with reviews too.
I find my bad reviews only last a short while if they even show up. Or they come up with a new product and erase the old reviews, except the new product is the old product. Same results.

My first jointer was a Grizzly…it was terrible. The in and outfeed tables were not in the same plane, and not adjustable in that way, so it was constitutionally unable to generate flat surfaces. I gave it to a friend that I did not like all that much.

I have seen and used other of their tools, and remain not a big fan.

Return them and find a quality set.

I rarely pay attention to internet reviews, this forum is much better :grin:
about reviews.
there are many idiots out there. People that use their products for things they were totally not designed for.
I ignore those rants as STUPID people.

I read the negative reviews first to see if there is a pattern. I discount the STUPID people.
I work my way up.

I love the reviews how great it is but I haven't used it yet. Sometimes though you get a good initial from that.. they really go over it.
The good reviews telling you how great are less helpful. It tells you nothing.. the problems tell you more. Sometimes there are no problems, so the product is working as expected.. which is what you want.

my 2 cents... which is like all other opinions... you know... draw your own conclusions... it's just info.

I purchased quite a bit of equipment from them about 3 years ago, table saw, wood lathe, horizontal bandsaw, vertical bandsaw, metal lathe and mill. I don't frequently write reviews but the two reviews I wrote, for a lathe and a mill, are still there. They are not glowing reviews, but not totally negative either. Honest. They do show up with five stars. I'm unsure I rated it that way?

*MY* impression is that Grizzly started focused on woodworking as the founder had some personal interest there. I think the metalworking equipment is more branching out based on opportunity. Woodworking equipment is generally not as complex nor as precise as machining equipment, and it feels like they used the same level of quality control across both. Small machining acessories, cutters, endmills, etc are pretty much low end.

They do offer some incredibly fancy $$$ CNC machine tools. Whow, I wonder how much of a market they've achieved there.

I don't regret my machine purchases from them, but have become a fan of rebuilding older American machines. That seems to fit my preferences better.

I've purchased two Grizzly tools. A big 8" edge sander that is pretty good and a good value. Same machine is sold with Powermatic name and paint for a lot more $. I bought a Grizzly large drill press. Very low quality, took a long time to get parts and I gave up on it and sold it to another fool.
I've only bought a few accessories from Grizzly. A set of Silver and Deming drills that seem quite nice. I broke one, my error, it was very hard. A small set of reamers that I tested by checking with gage pins, very accurate. I don't know about durability. A South Bend branded 8" 3 jaw that I machined a D1-4 back plate for. A very nice chuck that repeats over a wide range. Made in Taiwan.
I know that eBay reviews are very suspect. They allow bad reviews to be changed by giving away product in exchange for removing bad reviews.

I know that eBay reviews are very suspect. They allow bad reviews to be changed by giving away product in exchange for removing bad reviews.
Bingo... hard to trust. I had that offer... give us a good review and we'll give you some money back.

Back