Grinding Wheel Question

rogerl

Registered
Registered
I just bought a used Black Diamond drill sharpener. The grinding wheel will need to be replaced soon. The Black Diamond drill grinder uses the side of the grinding wheel to sharpen the drill point. I have contacted Black Diamond and Rush Tool to try to buy a grinding wheel and neither one has them in stock. I started looking at Norton and CGW to find a wheel for the grinder and I came across Type 5 wheels. The type 5 wheel has a recess on one side. I can make one of the type 5 wheels fit the grinder. My question is can I grind on the side of a type 5 wheel. Below is a link to the wheel I am thinking about using. Any information would be great.

Thanks
Roger L

Your grinder may use a different wheel than my model 65. However the one for my machine is only 6" in diameter and 3/4" wide. It has 2 different grit abrasive layers. The outer 1/4" of the diameter is a 100 grit abrasive and the remaining 5 1/2" is a 60 grit abrasive. Original part #100-961

One side has a 3/8" recess 3" diameter in the center to mount it to the hub. The mounting hole is 1/2" in diameter. This is a new spare wheel originally purchased from the Franklin/Kensol Hot Stamping Machine Co. out of Norwood MA in 1993. I believe this company was later bought out by AFM Engineering Inc. out of Santa Ana CA.

Back