Grind-R-Lap Grinder

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Has anyone ever seen a shaft and bearing assembly come as one unit? This came off an old Cold Grind grinder. Shaft is .6265". Bearing OD is 30mm and is 39mm long.
1728170847794.png

If a human built it a human can disassemble it.
Look for a shoulder that the bearing could be pushed up to.
It's possible the fit of the bearing to the shaft could require heat as well as a press.
Measure accurately the distance from the end to the bearing and note this as it might have been heated dropped on the shaft in a fixture to set its position.

I ended up destroying the bearing. I forgot to take a picture of the shaft but the shaft has grooves for the balls to ride in. It must've been made as an assembly although I still don't know how it was done. The shaft was .6265" the entire length. I did take this pic after I broke it open.
1728174650774.png

That is an automotive water pump shaft, a standard item at bearing houses. and used for other purposes, i used them for spindles on a multi spindle drilling machine that I built for a customer; the end shafts are soft other than a thin case hardening, so I was able to turn one end down and thread it for drill chucks, the other end was drilled with a carbide center drill to act in place of a keyway to retain the drive pullies.

Back