Got there in the end

SnakeyJ

Registered
Registered
1725912975221.png
It's taken way too much time to get to this point, but in this case the reward may well have been worth the pain - 40 x M5 holes tapped in my new fixture plate in short order and no broken taps!

I brought the tapping head on ebay many months back a US made SPV SA-0E, in good order but missing an arbor, which should have been an easy an afternoon in the workshop....

Firstly, apart from a sales catalogue and general info there was almost no info on this model available on line. The tapping head mounts on a JT33 taper, but with a captive threaded nut. I brought and scrapped my first R8 stub arbor machining the wrong taper pitch, setting up for 3.64 rather than 1.82...

Second attempt worked better - nice fit on the taper, I messed up the thread for the captive nut. I had measured this out as M27 x 1.25 pitch and cut. Close, but no cigar - after some messing around I worked out it was actually 1 1/16 by 20 tpi UNF. I probably could have got away with M27 x 1.25, it's only 1/1000 out per thread, but decided I would have to cut the pitch exactly and purchased a 28 tooth change wheel for my lathe to get the exact pitch. I also purchased a third stub arbor, but then realised this would not fit the supplied box and I could machine a 20mm straight shank arbor from some 40mm bar off cuts. fitting this in an R8 collet I gain an extra inch clearance on my RF45 mill

1725914954422.png

Got there in the end, but probably wasted two good days in the workshop and £60-70 on arbors, the change wheel and a couple of carbide inserts. Measure twice, cut once as both my Dad and Grandad would have pointed out. Good job this is a hobby!

1725915692937.png

All works very nicely and the adjustable clutch is very nice. The supplied collets all appear to be for BA size taps, but I will keep an eye out for a few others to join the set. Max capacity for this head is probably 8mm or 5/16"

There are always a few Tapmatic tapping heads going on eBay UK. I've hesitated myself over a few of them and when I came back to buy, they were gone.

The most common model for sale seems to be the 30X but which only goes up to M7 and I suspect I'd miss the M8; sensibly priced, though.

The next model up is the 50X, which does M3-M12 and would be lovely, but most of those always seem to be from the States and are a million pounds (okay not a million, but still several hundred, and so might as well be a million).

Eh, maybe I should just accept that anything bigger than M7, I'll be doing by hand and just pay the £90 that the 30X tends to go for.

Oh, nice fixture plate BTW. :)

There are always a few Tapmatic tapping heads going on eBay UK. I've hesitated myself over a few of them and when I came back to buy, they were gone.

The most common model for sale seems to be the 30X but which only goes up to M7 and I suspect I'd miss the M8; sensibly priced, though.

The next model up is the 50X, which does M3-M12 and would be lovely, but most of those always seem to be from the States and are a million pounds (okay not a million, but still several hundred, and so might as well be a million).

Eh, maybe I should just accept that anything bigger than M7, I'll be doing by hand and just pay the £90 that the 30X tends to go for.

Oh, nice fixture plate BTW. :)
Thanks SouthernChap. I have looked at the tapmatics - very nice, but the auto reversing ones are quite big and would give limited clearance/working height on my RF-45. As I'm running on a VFD, I can reverse feed by button.

Easy on through holes, like the fixture plate - blind holes will need to rely on the clutch settings and be more of a leap of faith!

Thanks SouthernChap. I have looked at the tapmatics - very nice, but the auto reversing ones are quite big and would give limited clearance/working height on my RF-45. As I'm running on a VFD, I can reverse feed by button.

Easy on through holes, like the fixture plate - blind holes will need to rely on the clutch settings and be more of a leap of faith!
Yeah, I've actually got a 90X as part of an auction lot; (so effectively free; haven't tested it, so I don't know if it works) and that's got to be 200mm long, 100mm dia. Bloody heavy too.

The 30X is about 100mm, so a bit more sensible.

Back