Got some auction finds.

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I got a 6” vise, an xy table drill press vise, a funky dividing head, and this positioner thing.

IMG_3472.jpegIMG_3473.jpeg
This is the vise. It seems okay. Using that ground right angle block I can’t get the moving jaw side pararelle to be tight. I measure .0007” lift off the part, 0.000” lift on the vise itself. My other vise pictured is the same way. I suppose for what I do, less than a thou lift is okay? I snugged the retainer gib things but that didn’t change.

IMG_3475.jpegIMG_3476.jpegIMG_3477.jpegIMG_3478.jpeg
Here’s the dividing head. I am 99% sure this was homemade. The auction was “staley blacksmith” and this says staley 1983 and staley in other places. I don’t know if this is worth keeping or not. It’s missing the clamping screw for locking the rotation.

IMG_3479.jpegIMG_3480.jpegIMG_3481.jpeg

This is the positioner thing. Any ideas what this would be for?

I don’t have a picture of the xy table as I took that to work for the drill press there.

I got all that for $40. I originally was going to just try to flip the stuff but this vise is bigger than mine (couldn’t tell from the pictures when I was bidding) and seems about the same condition.

I forgot to add, on the vise I was using about 3/8” parallels. When I used no parallels I saw no lift.

That line tool positioner may be for a microscope, or other measuring device. It has micrometer positioners from what I can tell.
There is a guy around here selling one , but it does not say what it is used for.
Could be an optical comparator for very accurate measurements.

That line tool positioner may be for a microscope, or other measuring device. It has micrometer positioners from what I can tell.
There is a guy around here selling one , but it does not say what it is used for.
Could be an optical comparator for very accurate measurements.

Wow on the price. This one is bigger but much more rusty.

The one for sale is obviously a lot more accurate with the gigunda mic barrels, but looking up the company you still have a valuable piece.
If it's in real good shape. Not the shape its in now. you would have to clean it up.

The positioner would be used with something like a measuring microscope.
The idea is, you clamp your object to the table, and tweak the knobs to line up
crosshairs on a feature, note the X and Y coordinates, then move the crosshairs
to another... typically there were astronomers measuring their plates that way in the
pre-computer era.

If you can get it attached to the plate, you can measure it; the rust isn't important
unless it keeps you from clamping the object firmly to the surface. The micrometer
barrels are presumably well greased and contained (and there'll be rails to clean
and lube as well).

If some cellphone needs an oddball screwdriver to loosen a tiny but important screw,
you can measure the fastener and make the driver.

Auctions are awesome! real auctions not Ebay.

Prices can get stupid but sometimes, especially when bidding online you can get awesome deals.

I got a Taft Pierce surface grinder for $125, A box of Albrecht chucks for $50 kept the nice ones and sold the rest

Bidding in person the prices get out of control quickly

Back