Got my parts from Clausing today

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I am so close to being finished with the restoration on this lathe I said just buy the parts rather than make them. These gears are for the Quick change Gearbox. Last week I recieved the shaft and a special gear for the Gear selection handle. I tried to get prints for them but they still sell the parts even tho I had to wait for them to source and quote the parts. The shaft and that 1 gear set me back about $200. Today I recieved the other gears that I ordered Monday. They had them in stock. Attached you will see pictures and details of the part numbers and prices including freight. Also how much the freight weighed. 3/4 of a pound . Yep 12 ounces . Shipped it UPS ground when I asked for the cheapest shipping. (Post office would have been the cheapest around $8 dollars. Anyway here is the pictures and the cost. I've got about $400 dollars in the parts and did not replace the ball bearings and the rest of the gears and shafts. But hey I would still be complaining about the cost of steel to make the gears . LOL I did the math. It cost me $2.83 dollars an ounce to ship via UPS. I should have held on to my UPS and JB Hunt stock.

Attachments

• IMG_3696.JPG
    IMG_3696.JPG
    503.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3692.JPG
    IMG_3692.JPG
    506.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3694.JPG
    IMG_3694.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3695.JPG
    IMG_3695.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 28
Yeah, you’re not going to get a bug company like that to deviate from their standard shipping.

The brown truck probably stops there empty and leaves full 2-3 times a day.

Yeah, you’re not going to get a bug company like that to deviate from their standard shipping.

The brown truck probably stops there empty and leaves full 2-3 times a day.
That is what I was thinking. I'm sure they have a contract with UPS and somebody is getting kickbacks. I am sure the lady that took my order knows I could get $8 dollar shipping with flat rate USPS but it is out of her control. this reminds me of my prescription med insurance I ad when I worked for GM. I had to pay a $25 dollar co-pay on each prescription and one day the pharmacy told me that the medicine I was getting was only less than $5 dollars and it would be cheaper if I didn't use the insurance. So, her I sit in my bathtub full of tears the victim of Big System.

I am so close to being finished with the restoration on this lathe I said just buy the parts rather than make them. These gears are for the Quick change Gearbox. Last week I recieved the shaft and a special gear for the Gear selection handle. I tried to get prints for them but they still sell the parts even tho I had to wait for them to source and quote the parts. The shaft and that 1 gear set me back about $200. Today I recieved the other gears that I ordered Monday. They had them in stock. Attached you will see pictures and details of the part numbers and prices including freight. Also how much the freight weighed. 3/4 of a pound . Yep 12 ounces . Shipped it UPS ground when I asked for the cheapest shipping. (Post office would have been the cheapest around $8 dollars. Anyway here is the pictures and the cost. I've got about $400 dollars in the parts and did not replace the ball bearings and the rest of the gears and shafts. But hey I would still be complaining about the cost of steel to make the gears . LOL I did the math. It cost me $2.83 dollars an ounce to ship via UPS. I should have held on to my UPS and JB Hunt stock.
Anything ordered from Clausing will be a bit pricey. Years ago, I bought a used Startrite bandsaw. It was missing the blade cleaning brush and holder. I was cutting a fair amount of aluminum at the time I needed a brush to keep the blade gullets clean. I tried a couple times to make a holder, but since I had no idea what it was supposed to look like I wasn't all that successful. I finally broke down and bought one from Clausing for a little under $100.00.

When it came, I was shocked. It was just a piece of sheet metal with a couple holes for mounting and a slot for adjusting the brush. Here's a video of a similar saw. The brush holder is at about the 1:30 mark. It's attached to the upright that guides the blade at the right side of the vise.

Back