Go ahead.....make my day

Uh, did you watch the video? With your sound up?

No thanks. Been there a few times, and can't say I liked it much.

Pulled a "Ralphie Parker" as a kid. BB gun + flat metal surface..... didn't shoot my eye out, but my arm stung for awhile. :whistle:

Down range changing targets during a reduced distance high power rifle match. At the same time a falling plate pistol match was going on at an adjacent range. Lots of whizzing noises and leaves started sailing across our target area from the tree line separating the two ranges. :headscratch:

Also witnessed an innocent bystander take a direct hit from a Barrett .50 cal at a private range. Not from a fired round, but from a baffle that dislodged from the muzzle brake and struck him in the torso. Fortunately it was a glancing blow. Why in the world he chose to stand 45 degrees to the rear of the shooter is anybody's guess. :nuts:

I watched it several times and still have no clue what hit the guy. I heard it whistle and hit him but I do not know what actually hit him. So what was it?

If you watch the ground a few feet in front of him, you can spot the dust kick up as the bullet he fired bounces up and strikes his muff. That whistle is the sound of a tumbling bullet traveling at a pretty good clip, after bouncing off his target plate.

Jeez! I had a near miss once firing a 22 on the water. One came whistling by my head close. I called it a day when that happened.

I've seen old tank turrets with oblong slots cut through them where a 5-0 went through tumbling. Not to be treated lightly.

Jeez! I had a near miss once firing a 22 on the water. One came whistling by my head close. I called it a day when that happened.

Good call UB. ;)

Anybody that has ever done a "belly flop" while diving into a swimming pool knows just how "hard" the surface of a body of water can be. The speed that a bullet travels at makes up for the lack of surface area as compared to a typical belly, when striking water. A super-sonic bullet doesn't know the difference between water, a concrete slab, or a steel plate.

Steel plates on shooting ranges are normally angled forward so that when hit, the bullet is deflected downward and forward - AWAY from the shooter and into the earth. Setting up a steel plate in a vertical plane results in a "return to sender" stamp upon delivery to the target - as shown in that video.

Ricochet

What actually hit "him" (his hearing protection muffs, luckily) was the equivalent of a piece of 1/2" steel bar stock, spinning end over end at a very rapid pace! :shocked:
The .50 cal BMG ammunition he was shooting is on the far left.)

300px-Rifle_cartridge_comparison.jpg

Good call UB. ;)

Anybody that has ever done a "belly flop" while diving into a swimming pool knows just how "hard" the surface of a body of water can be. The speed that a bullet travels at makes up for the lack of surface area as compared to a typical belly, when striking water. A super-sonic bullet doesn't know the difference between water, a concrete slab, or a steel plate.

Steel plates on shooting ranges are normally angled forward so that when hit, the bullet is deflected downward and forward - AWAY from the shooter and into the earth. Setting up a steel plate in a vertical plane results in a "return to sender" stamp upon delivery to the target - as shown in that video.

Ricochet

What actually hit "him" (his hearing protection muffs, luckily) was the equivalent of a piece of 1/2" steel bar stock, spinning end over end at a very rapid pace! :shocked:
The .50 cal BMG ammunition he was shooting is on the far left.)

Willle

Thats is a serious looking Bullet on the left, um, they all are!

Paul

I had a friend send me a video of a sniper and his spotter don't know where they were but he was a good shot.

It showed what happened when he shop a few people, Not a pretty site they just exploded body parts going every way.

Paul

Back