Gear making stresses me out

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Finally got the gear made for my Clausing 5913 quick change gear box. Making gears from scratch are easier than this one was. All this work because the previous owner was too lazy to clean the machine.

Attachments

• IMG_3828.JPG
    IMG_3828.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3830.JPG
    IMG_3830.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 58
Nice job !
Thanks. I started out trying to just reweld 4 bad teeth and that turned out poorly. So I turned all but .750 of the old gear off and made a steel bushing that I brazed back then recut all the teeth. Second time around I wrote down the 16 teeth and checked off the 4 things that must happen for each tooth. (1 cut- and unlock) 2 (rotate and reset fingers) 3 (lock) 4 (tap magic) repeat 1 thru 4 16 times. Yes #16 is actually #17 to verify arrived back at start of tooth #1. Doesn't sound too hard but my mind is not as sharp as it was 50 years ago and sometimes, I have even put my overalls on backwards. LOL I also did a dry run without spindle rotation to verify before cutting the first tooth. Luckily my neighbor didn't show up wanting to B/S until I had completed all 16 teeth. I might have stabbed him with a file. LOL

Thanks. I started out trying to just reweld 4 bad teeth and that turned out poorly. So I turned all but .750 of the old gear off and made a steel bushing that I brazed back then recut all the teeth. Second time around I wrote down the 16 teeth and checked off the 4 things that must happen for each tooth. (1 cut- and unlock) 2 (rotate and reset fingers) 3 (lock) 4 (tap magic) repeat 1 thru 4 16 times. Yes #16 is actually #17 to verify arrived back at start of tooth #1. Doesn't sound too hard but my mind is not as sharp as it was 50 years ago and sometimes, I have even put my overalls on backwards. LOL I also did a dry run without spindle rotation to verify before cutting the first tooth. Luckily my neighbor didn't show up wanting to B/S until I had completed all 16 teeth. I might have stabbed him with a file. LOL
And I thought I was the only one that was feeling that way. Being 82 isn't as much fun as I figured it would be. Especially when you are in the middle of something and you gotta pee.

@ltlvt

If that's the kind of work you produce while under pressure, then you wear it very well.

okay, that not so much......

Brian
Thanks Brian. When I worked for GM I was in a class where the group had to divide up in teams and play a game of tossing rings onto bottles. The first half was much different than the last half of the game. They told all of us to put a dollar bill in the hat and then the winner got to keep the money. Seems as if I have always performed well under pressure. I kept the money. Same on the pool table. Playing for money made me a much better shot.

Good job on the gear and I hear you about distractions.

Tried to cut an internal thread earlier while my cow inker was talking to me and threaded a clearance sized hole instead of a minor diameter hole.

Looked great when it was done but it was like a hotdog down a hallway when fitted.

Oh well, at least I’m getting paid to screw up.

There is one thing worse than getting old; NOT getting old!
Tell me about it. Too many family members and people I know some younger than me have passed on. I got a notice from FB that it was Joe's birthday. I hadn't spoken with him in a couple of years so I jumped out to his FB page to wish him happy birthday. There on the page was RIP Joe. He just up and dropped dead a couple months earlier and he was 9 years younger than me. In great shape. Serious bummer.

Back