Gear Hobber

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've been thinking on building this machine:
. I bought the plans a few months ago and decided to order the castings. They are not available.

Would anyone be willing to sell their castings? Maybe a project that will never be finished and you would like to get a few bucks out of it? Just asking.

Which kit is it?

Here another:

The Martin machine, which is the one I want is not available.

The English machine is not what I want.

Would this be better than just a set of cutters for each modulus or DP you wanted to cut? I’m making some mod 1.5 gears now and was surprised a set of 8 cutters was around $80.

Edit: looks like these machines might be a bit too small for mod 1.5.

Not much better but I want to build it just to watch it run. I can make and have made gears with my index head, gear cutters, and mill.

Would this be better than just a set of cutters for each modulus or DP you wanted to cut?

Hobbing gears like shown will have lower (better) tooth-to-tooth symmetry than cutting each tooth all by itself (which is dependent on the gearing in the rotary table/spindexer/... and the precision at which the machines are operated.)
The Hobber is using 2 adjacent teeth to cause the current tooth to be cut symmetrically with respect to the adjacent.

High precision astronomy gears are hobbed, and then run worm-on-gear for multiple hours with fine lapping powder to get the sub-arc-second smoothness the drive needs. If the gear were 12" in diameter the tooth-to-tooth surface dimensions need to be way under 0.000,1" and surface smoothness in the millionths department.

Very interesting. I have no need for that level of precision.

The machine fascinates me and I want to see if I can do it. It is at the very outer edges of my amateur machining abilities and I may never complete it. I have the plans and have made the two shafts.

Back