G0752z-New to me DRO Replacement

WilsonFlyer

Registered
Registered
Hey guys! Long time lurker here.

I would like to replace the DRO display on my G0752z with TouchDRO, but the cables out of my encoders are round as opposed to D9 connectors used by the TouchDRO interfaces. Does anyone know what the pinouts are from the magnetic scales installed on the G0752z or where I could find them? I really don't want to replace the scales if I can help it. They seem to be pretty good, well mounted and secure. I just want more functionality in the DRO itself.

Thanks!

Is this a model they no longer offer? I see a G0752 but no z suffix

It is a current model, though mine is about 5 years old. A Google search puts the product page up top. I tried posting the link directly, but the forum won't let me.

My understanding is that 752 references the variable speed motor. The 'z' references the DRO system being installed at the factory. Otherwise, again via my own conclusions, it is essentially a G0602.

I have an older G0752Z that I bought used from a member here. My 752Z uses a VFD to control the motor speed. There's also three pulley ranges.

As I recall, the mag tape they used was a native 0.001" rather than metric (5um). Somehow I had figured out the pin out. Think I made an extender cable of some sort, or cut back the shrink tubing and used a volt meter to probe under power. Sorry, I couldn't find the pin out. I had rewired to a different round connector, an aircraft style.

There's only really four important pins, +5V, GND, A, & B. Sometimes there is a 5th pin, for the shield of the cable. It isn't that hard to sort out.

Since then, I have replaced the coarse mag DRO to an optical system. I put 1um on both axes. No, I don't machine to 1um, the 752 is not well enough made (rigidity and quality of the gibs etc) for that kind of thing. It's just not a $10K lathe. But the lathe is quite serviceable for my use.

Using the 1um scale means I get very solid readouts to the ten thousandth of an inch. I use 6 digits of display on inches and 6 digits on mm. 12.0001" or 220.002mm sort of thing. I bought the optical scales on AliExpress, although I could have simply bought directly from Ditron. For the display, I incorporated it into my own ELS (electronic lead screw). I have a thread on that on my project page, which you can find in the Members Project subforum.

I have an older G0752Z that I bought used from a member here. My 752Z uses a VFD to control the motor speed. There's also three pulley ranges.

As I recall, the mag tape they used was a native 0.001" rather than metric (5um). Somehow I had figured out the pin out. Think I made an extender cable of some sort, or cut back the shrink tubing and used a volt meter to probe under power. Sorry, I couldn't find the pin out. I had rewired to a different round connector, an aircraft style.

There's only really four important pins, +5V, GND, A, & B. Sometimes there is a 5th pin, for the shield of the cable. It isn't that hard to sort out.

Since then, I have replaced the coarse mag DRO to an optical system. I put 1um on both axes. No, I don't machine to 1um, the 752 is not well enough made (rigidity and quality of the gibs etc) for that kind of thing. It's just not a $10K lathe. But the lathe is quite serviceable for my use.

Using the 1um scale means I get very solid readouts to the ten thousandth of an inch. I use 6 digits of display on inches and 6 digits on mm. 12.0001" or 220.002mm sort of thing. I bought the optical scales on AliExpress, although I could have simply bought directly from Ditron. For the display, I incorporated it into my own ELS (electronic lead screw). I have a thread on that on my project page, which you can find in the Members Project subforum.

I appreciate the information. It sort of registered with me just a little while ago when reading the manual about the DRO (1 page LOL) that the scales were only 0.001. I guess in my mind, due mostly to the more modern ones I'm used to, just kept wanting to see that as 0.0001.

I'm probably going to need to replace the scales anyway. Now it just seems to make the most sense. Thanks for the pop up side the head so I really saw that and paid closer attention. In for a penny, in for a pound, I guess.

Last edited:
Back