Force question ?

A 6" cylinder piston has a little over 28 square inches according to my terrible math . I believe force pressure is calculated ...........square inches x PSI . At 100 psi , would this lift 2800 lbs or am I way out in space here ? :dunno:
6 inches is a hell of a piston. Are you rebuilding a tugboat? That said, 28+ square inches is correct.

6 inches is a hell of a piston. Are you rebuilding a tugboat? That said, 28+ square inches is correct.
Used it for pressing caps on containers , but a tugboat sounds interesting :encourage:

If you have seals rated to 400 PSI, I would not be too concerned about using this at 100 PSI? Why do you think they might blow?

It's about potential energy stored in the compressible medium. Hydraulics won't send a 6" ram through the ceiling and into orbit. Makes compressing coil springs look safe as Fisher Price toys when you run the numbers. Of course, like all things, it depends. But pneumatics are best used as actuators, not force multipliers. Steam used to be used for power, now it's just for heat, this is a big part of it's demise.

Crushed the **** out of a finger by pushing out a Wilwood brake caliper piston with a little compressed air once. Stupidly, I wasn't even thinking about where my finger was before I hit the trigger on that blow gun. Holy cow that hurt. No blood loss, but a lot of adult language spurted out.

:rolleyes:

It's about potential energy stored in the compressible medium. Hydraulics won't send a 6" ram through the ceiling and into orbit. Makes compressing coil springs look safe as Fisher Price toys when you run the numbers. Of course, like all things, it depends. But pneumatics are best used as actuators, not force multipliers. Steam used to be used for power, now it's just for heat, this is a big part of it's demise.
We used Haskell boosters to boost the pressure of industrial gas from 1000 to 6000PSI with a force multiplier that used 150PSI shop air to drive it... It almost sounds like driving a 120KW Generator with w 20HP motor except the Haskell works...

Back