Floor mats

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
I bought my floor mats from the Home Depot. They are rubbery, foamy soft goodness.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMaster-Diamond-Soft-Foot-Black-4-ft-x-6-ft-Commercial-Door-Mat-6016909004x6/306932662

I really like them. The only issue is that now I've got big boy lathes that make big boy chips that carry a lot of heat. Not good on soft rubbery mats.

I've seen pallet like pads that people make for next to a lathe. I mentioned it to my machinist mentor and he said I should try putting a sheet of plywood on top of the mat so I get the squish with a heat resistant top.

Anyway. Throw in your ideas. I'm too old to go back to straight up concrete. Lol!

I got an old Lyman power feed for my mill. Top looks like aluminum, but it’s plastic. Milling away, start to clean up, all the chips melted into the top of the power feed.
Might put a piece of denim on top of the mat to absorb the heat.

I don't care for those. I bought some from Menard's that have holes in them. The holes catch the chips so I am not walking on them.

About a year ago Grizzly had some mats for sale. I bought a couple 6’ ones for in front of one of the mills and one of the lathes. They are great and inexpensive. I went back a week ago to order a couple more but couldn’t find them. It might be worth a call to see if they’re still available.

I like this so far

no burning into, I had hard rubber before, and the oils would pucker it, the hot chips would lodge in it. It was free on freecycle and offers some warmth, some cushioning...

During a dumpster dive I got a belt off a treadmill. It makes a good tool mat and is hard enough to not melt in/hold much chips, but its too thin and hard to help soften the floor much. It also keeps the washer from walking around. Wish I had more for way covers on the mill.

I made duck boards from 1x3's cut in half. Feet are off the concrete, and no stink from the rubber mats. Just lift them up once in a while and brush the swarf away.20211121_165833 (Medium).jpg
I have an additional one in front of the door so I can scrape my foot wear on the way out. Wife is happy so it must be working.

gerrit

I bought some of the mats from HF with low expectations. Actually, I bought them with cash, but I had low expectations, Anyway, they've held up surprisingly well. No real problem with chips embedding, oil doesn't bother them. The only thing I would do differently with them is glue the pieces and edge strips together when new. Still thinking about duck boards.

I've taken to wire brushing the soles of my boots before I head into the house. Hand-held brush, not wire-wheel.

I was brought up in the machinist trade in a shop where every machine had duck boards in front of it, I had some in my shop, especially in front of the most used lathes and the HBM, with some of the other machines where hot chips were not so much of a problem, I used pieces of conveyor belting to keep off the cold concrete, I have a piece in front of my 19" lathe in my home shop, it is "tough as a gut" and does not imbed chips.

Back