Fixing the Nod on a Mill

wnchstrtnfldvlle

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Quick question for you guys,

I was trying to get the table trammed in on the new mill, and I did okay with the left to right rotation, but when trying to get the nod dialed in it was a little frustrating. My question is, do you guys loosen the nuts all the way when adjusting? I had them fairly loose when tramming the left to right but ended up tightening them to get rid of the abrupt shift from the backlash. So, then I left the nuts a little snug when working the front to back, and the backlash effects seemed to be worse. I'm thinking of loosening them more, but wasn't sure if that would make it harder.

Thoughts?

Quick question for you guys,

I was trying to get the table trammed in on the new mill, and I did okay with the left to right rotation, but when trying to get the nod dialed in it was a little frustrating. My question is, do you guys loosen the nuts all the way when adjusting? I had them fairly loose when tramming the left to right but ended up tightening them to get rid of the abrupt shift from the backlash. So, then I left the nuts a little snug when working the front to back, and the backlash effects seemed to be worse. I'm thinking of loosening them more, but wasn't sure if that would make it harder.

Thoughts?
I loosen a fair amount since I have to shim the base of the column on my Mini-Mill (LMS 3990), and it takes a lot of back-and-forth between X- & -Y. Using a spindle square helps a little.

You're just asking for the nod, but I'd check all surfaces if it's a new mill. The squareness of the table against the vertical ways in different positions (say, low, middle, and high). Squareness of the ram against the horizontal ways. Squareness of the head plate against the vertical ways...

If everything is OK, then nut tightness shouldn't matter. On a small machine overtightening could cause the castings to flex a little under pressure but that's a full size machine.

I go pretty loose, but always keep one bolt snug until I'm very close. Then I'll snug things up a bit more and tap it into place with a dead blow if It's fighting me. Don't forget to back off the adjustment worms once you've tightened everything down.

GsT

Back