Expanding steady rest

Alberto-sp

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Helo. I have this steady rest

The ring is 60mm but whith the brass parts I can only fit 52mm. I need to turn a pipe of 55mm OD. So my question is, Can I grind a bit the brass parts to allow the pipe? If the answer is yes, Do I need to apply a special finish to those brass parts? The actual finish is not very good by the way.

Thank you

best regards

Attachments

• lun.jpg
    lun.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
If I were in your shoes I wouldn’t think twice about grinding a bit off the tips of those jaws. You’re only taking off max 2mm per tip and as long as the jaws are solid (ie: not partly hollow on the back or something) it looks like you’ve got lots of material there. I also wouldn’t worry about a finish — the first time you use them it would get probably get worn off anyways.

Try to avoid grinding them on a wheel though, brass (these actually look a bit more like bronze to me but no matter) can have a tendency to plug up the wheel right away so abrasive belt (belt grinder) usually works better.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with a similar-looking steady rest (7x14 lathe). I extended the slots in the jaws a bit and that gave me enough extra travel that I didn't need to change the tips. 10 minutes with a round file did the job on all three jaws.

I'm gonna second two first opinions here, if it's at all practicable, I'd lengthen the slot before I ground the ends. There needs to be enough travel in the screws and all that. Those screws (Never saw one first hand) look suspicious of having a shoulder on them that maybe could be moved back a couple of millimeters. And aside from fouling a grinding wheel (which is real, but is recoverable), ESPECIALLY for that small amount, I wouldn't grind those at all. I'd file the end off. One tiny fraction of a grinder grit embedded in those "fingers" could wreck your day, depending on what you're working on, and depending how long it takes to realize it was that, and not a chip that got in there....

also, you don't want a point at the end of the fingers, a slight flat is fine. It offers more support. So just put it on the grinder each finger standing up so the striations are with the piece instead of across it.

Back