End of an Era – Fair Radio Sales Closing Down (maybe OT, maybe not)

ChazzC

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
For those not familiar with them, Fair Radio Sales has been around since a few years after WWII, selling surplus radio & electronics gear and parts. I came across them when I was building HeathKit test equipment, and Fair had a few NOS kits (fondly remember building an original Vectorscope from an unopened 1960's box; sold it with a lot of other items when I pared down in the early 2000's). I've purchased other items and parts over the years, and even though not active in that hobby I still receive their sometimes monthly sales emails – I got this one today:

20240618 Fair Radio Email.png

Then I went to their homepage:

20240618 Fair Radio Closing.png

Always sad when a family business shuts down, but amateur radio and home-built electronics (using discrete components and tubes) are fading fast. I got a table at a local Ham Fest probably 20 years ago to sell off some items; barely got more than the cost of the table space and gas, and brought stuff home (still have a few things in boxes in the garage). :empty:

Thanks Chazz , you reminded me I have to hook the CB up in the truck before heading north . :big grin:

I heard about this a while ago, sad to see them go. I haven't ordered from FRS for quite some time, but they were good to deal with and had a few items (e.g. "doorknob" caps, large induction coils) that one just couldn't find elsewhere.

They should've been called "mad scientist supply" - they had most everything one would need for all the crazy-cool electrical gizmos you used to see in the mad scientist's workshop in the old movies...

GsT

Too bad. Yet another one gone.

Back