enco 5" milling vise

calstar

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Any one have/use one of these? Looking for info before I pull the trigger on it. Normally $250 + shipping(70lbs so probably around $50), Monday sale at enco 20% off and free shipping so $200 to my door. If it has an acme screw and tolerances are close to the 5" Homge at LMS I'll get it. The verylimited specs shown in the enco site are nearly identical to the Homge. I'll call enco tomorrow and ask for specs/tolerances but until then hoping to hear from someone.

thanks, Brian

479.png denco vise.jpg

Last edited:
You might try pg 480 and have a look at the tite lock vises. You would have to step up to 6" or down to 4", but they are less expensive and similar in design. I pulled the trigger on the 6" model. I don't know if the free shipping will hold out as that is for standard ground shipping, and the vises may require truck shipping. So far the order went through with free shipping, but I will know more Monday. They may throw on truck freight.

If it's under 70lbs it should UPS no problem. I think UPS may have even changed their weight limits in the past couple of years.

Dunno. It said standard ground on the order, and truck freight on the page. Like I said, we'll know more Monday when they fill the order and send me an email. Wish me luck. Wish us both luck. I hope your choice of vises meets the specs u r hoping for.

You would have to step up to 6" or down to 4", but they are less expensive and similar in design.

I looked at those but I feel the 5" is the ideal size for my grizzley round column. The 6" is definitely too big and with the 5 if/when I get a larger mill it will be usable. Granted my mill is not so great for tolerances but by getting a more accurate vise(ground bed, jaws, etc.) than the less expensive model at least I'll have a better chance of milling to the dimensions I need. Yeah, hope the free shipping applies, not such a good deal if it doesn't, I may have to rethink the purchase.

cheers, Brian

I used an Enco 6" Kurt style for years. The main thing I found to be deficient was the bases are a little too thin. They can be seen flexing up and down under cuts. My Kurt vise has a much thicker base.

That vise shown is finished in black crackle. Mine was green. I don't know if they are the same quality,especially as mine was bought in the 70's,and was made in Taiwan. I finally picked up a nearly new Kurt for a reasonable price,so have a better vise now. I did not find my Enco vise to be too far out as far as precision was concerned.

Last edited:
I used an Enco 6y" Kurt style for years. The main thing I found to be deficient was the bases are a little too thin. They can be seen flexing up and down under cuts. My Kurt vise has a much thicker base.

That vise shown is finished in black crackle. Mine was green. I don't know if they are the same quality,especially as mine was bought in the 70's,and was made in Taiwan. I finally picked up a nearly new Kurt for a reasonable price,so have a better vise now. I did not find my Enco vise to be too far out as far as precision was concerned.

Do you mean the swivel base, or the base of the vise itself?

I have an Enco Kurt style vice on my round column mill drill. Bought it about 4 years ago and it works great. And the size is right for the machine size.

Tom S.

so did you order it ? ups will take up to 150 lbs but its costly as can be. I like to hear from somebody that has one just like it. . . .

Yep, ordered it today with a few other things. I think it was about as good of a price as can be found, $200 and free delivery to my door. I talked to a tech who only could come up with the same limited specs as on the site, nice guy but not any info I was looking for other than it has an acme screw. He did say he could get specs in around 3 days from the manuf, I'll take him up on that. Leap of faith but not too worried, don't feel I can lose on the deal, I'll let youl know.

Brian

Back