Enco 1445 Quick change gearbox dial stuck

Greyhound

Registered
Registered
Recently got a new-to-me Enco 111-1445 lathe. I've been going through all functions and haven't been able to get the quick change dial to move. I've removed the knob and have tried rotating it with channel locks and still can't get it to move. I don't want to get too aggressive with it and mar up the knob shaft. No matter which position any of the other levers and chuck are in, it won't move. I'm at the point of tearing into the gear box but wanted to check and see if anyone has any recommendations before I tear into it. From what I've read, this lathe is pretty much a carbon copy of a Grizzly 0749. I've been into gearboxes before, but not one with this many gears. The exploded view of the gearbox is pretty intimidating.

Enco lathe.jpg

enco QCGB.JPG

That's a boatload of gears dang! I have a G0709 with a numbered dial like that. It's quite finicky. I rotate the chuck until it clicks into 5, but it won't go into 6 unless I rotate the chuck again and get to the right spot. Then it won't go into 7 unless I rotate again etc. It's like you have to find the right spot for a given #.

Back