Dumore Series 14 Bearings

WCraig

Registered
Registered
So I bought a old Dumore Series 14 tool post grinder for next to nothing in an auction recently. Dumore still offers this model:

Series 14 front from catalog.jpg

Apparently this was called the "Tom Thumb" grinder at one point. Info plate from my machine:

IMG_3922.jpeg

Among other issues, the bearings on the main spindle are quite floppy. The markings on the bearings are quite indistinct. Does anyone know the appropriate bearing numbers? Following is a close up of each of the bearing markings.

Bearing 1.jpg

Bearing 2.jpg

Oddly, the markings are on the side with the seal on one bearing and vice versa. Makes me think these are not the original bearings.

Craig

I’m looking forward to getting the same info.... I have 2 of these grinders and am looking forward to having one that works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure about your grinder but I recently rebuilt a 44 series grinder and used matched pair 7200 angular contact bearings for the spindle.
These were pretty close to exact replacement, just needed some shim adjustment.

Out of interest..... what did Dumore specify for bearings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a Dumore 14 also. I had to do some rewiring on mine & I thought I had taken pics of the motor bearing numbers when I had it apart. I just went through my pics & looks like I didn't, or they're are somewhere else in my computer.

Anyways, when I looked up the replacement bearings from Dumore, they don't costs that much for the 14 unlike some of their other models that are crazy expensive. $4-$5 for the motor, $10 for the spindle. Dumore doesn't actually list the bearing numbers on their site but if you search their p/ns on the net you can find cross references.

But again they are not expensive for the 14 from Dumore. My motor bearings are good but the spindle bearings are bad on mine. I never got around to replacing them as I later scored a Dumore 44 for cheap which is better suited for my lathe. I do still want to replace the bearings in my 14 anyway which I'll probably just buy from Dumore. Thanks for the reminder.

Man I'm getting old, another case of CRS....

I went to Dumore's site to check how much shipping would cost for the bearings. Turns out I already had an account with them. Logged in & checked my order history. Apparantly I already ordered the motor & spindle bearings for the 14 in 2017! Went out to garage & sure enough the new bearings are inside the case for my 14!

But something funny going on. Dumore's P/Ns for the motor bearings are R426-0346 & R426-0270 which is what I ordered, 1 of each, & what it says on the invoice. But I didn't actually receive R426-0270, instead I received R426-0170 and they sent 2 of them although I only ordered 1. I searched Dumore's site for R426-0170 & nothing comes up.

So here's what I have:

Rear motor bearing R426-0346 is 608-2RS
20200826_142512.jpg

Front motor bearing R426-0170 is 627-RSA but I don't know if this is the correct bearing as I have obviously not installed them yet or if they wrote the wrong p/n on the bag.
20200826_142556.jpg

Spindle bearing R426-0172 is 7R4A
20200826_142654.jpg

All the bearings I received from Dumore are China, PEER brand. The invoice from Dumore says all these bearings are ABEC1. So that explains why they don't cost much from Dumore where as the bearings for the 44 cost like $200ea.

I'm not sure I will install these. That depends on whether I decide to keep the 14 or not. If I do I'll look for better bearings to install. If I decide to sell it I'll just install these but I need to figure out what the deal is with the odd p/n I received.

I'm not sure if I'd install them either, @darkzero. Actually, I am sure, I wouldn't install China radial contact bearings if the originals were German and angular contact. Granted, the Dumore Tom Thumb isn't exactly pushing heavy loads. I should probably replace the ones on mine... Keep us posted on what you learn. I guess these little grinders are more popular than I thought.

It's been years since I had opened up the 14 but I'm pretty sure it didn't have angular contact bearings in it. Someone above mentioned they put angular bearings in their 44 but I don't think that's what came stock in the 44 either. But then again I have never disassembled my 44 yet. The Tom Thumb is a tiny TP grinder, meant for very light duty.

Who knows how long it will be when I get around to it. Been years already & I still haven't had the need to use the 14 or the 44. I just picked them up cause I came across them cheap locally. I actually paid less for the 44 than I did for the 14.

@darkzero Thanks so much for looking up the details for me. Amazon has a listing for the product but it is currently unavailable:

(Note the description in the title says 5/8 outside diameter but the specs list the correct 3/4 inch OD.)

Also, I found at least one distributor that seems to cross-reference to equivalent bearings from other manufacturers.

Hopefully these bearings should be available locally. I forgot to mention in my original post that I found the user manual (with parts list) on the Dumore site. However, shipping from the US to Canada has been abysmal recently. My wife's last order has apparently been sitting in LA for 5+ weeks. So I'm reluctant to try to get the parts out of the USA.

Another question, if you would. My spindle assembly has the remnants of a Gits-style oiler in the middle between the two bearings. Is this a user mod? The parts diagram doesn't show anything like that.

Thanks again,

Craig

No problem Craig, hope you are able to find the bearings locally.

My 14 does not have an oiler on the spindle assy, not that I remember anyway. But maybe different generations could have? Like my 44, the power switch is inline on the power cord where as others I've seen & per Dumore's parts diagram the switch is on the motor housing like my 14. But my 44 does have a cup oiler on the spindle assy.

Img_9663.jpg

IMG_20170406_183745_411.jpg

Back