Diamond dresser

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
My partner tells me that I'm sharp dresser but that doesn't translate to my grinding wheels :D
So as I progress toward getting the P-M up and running it occurs to me that I need a diamond dresser.
The KBC catalogue has a variety of dressers but I have no idea what to look for.
What carat weight? They have a 1 carat Norton dresser on sale for $25 but there are dressers from 1/5 carat up to 5 carat :O

That sounds like a great price for a 1 carat Norton diamond dresser. I use either 1/3 or 1/2 carat dressers on my 7" wheels. They're 3/8" in diameter and 3" long Most of mine came from Shars. They're about $11.00 for a 1/3 carat, and $16.00 for a 1/2 carat. Be sure to get a single point with a 60* angle if you're flat dressing. If you're doing some profiling you may need different lengths, and diameters.

I do have a few older Norton's, but the last time I went shopping for them they were close to $100.00 each. I opted for the Shars cheapies, and haven't been disappointed.

AS an FYI be sure to rotate them regularly in the holder. They'll stay sharper longer and do a better job.

That sounds like a great price for a 1 carat Norton diamond dresser. I use either 1/3 or 1/2 carat dressers on my 7" wheels. They're 3/8" in diameter and 3" long Most of mine came from Shars. They're about $11.00 for a 1/3 carat, and $16.00 for a 1/2 carat. Be sure to get a single point with a 60* angle if you're flat dressing. If you're doing some profiling you may need different lengths, and diameters.

I do have a few older Norton's, but the last time I went shopping for them they were close to $100.00 each. I opted for the Shars cheapies, and haven't been disappointed.

AS an FYI be sure to rotate them regularly in the holder. They'll stay sharper longer and do a better job.
Thanks!
I think that 1 carat is too big for a 7" wheel according to this info.

Back