Detent pin on PM-1022V compound

Pfeffa

Registered
Registered
Is there a reason to keep the Detent pin on a PM-1022V / -1030V compound when using a QCTP?

I'm getting to know my new PM-1022V; I found the QCTP (the version that currently comes with the lathe from Precision Matthews) did not rotate entirely smoothly through all angles but hung up at a particular point. I removed the QCTP to see what the obstruction was and found the Detent pin [manual p. 31 COMPOUND Fig 5B Ref 6] top to be fairly rough and asymmetrical - it was getting caught in the bottom of the QCTP dovetails as the QCTP was rotated. The QCTP has no feature on its bottom for the Detent pin to rise into - unlike the 4-way post, which has a hole for the Detent pin (and whose bottom is otherwise smooth at that radius).

I'm thinking of making a flush top plug - to replace the Detent pin. I don't want to just remove the pin, as the hole in the top of the compound would then tend to collect swarf. I'm think of making it from brass, so it won't erode the bottom edge of the dovetail in the QCTP block as much.

Has anyone else removed or replaced the Detent pin? or elected to keep it place (perhaps rounding its top surface - so it doesn't catch in the dovetail)?

Since the QCTP upgrade came with the lathe I’m surprised that PM didn’t remove it prior to shipping. Was the QCTP mounted when you received the lathe or was the 4-way installed?

Last edited:
I believe they all have them. I removed mine - couldn't see a purpose for it.

Back