Depth Micrometer Adjustment - Starrett No. 449az

bug_hunter

Registered
Registered
Afternoon,

I have a Starrett No. 449az depth micrometer that measures about .002 off when on a flat surface. The micrometer has that standard knurled ring for gross adjustment. a locking knurled ring, and a ratcheting knurled ring. There is also a slotted screw in the top of the ratcheting knurled ring. Can anyone out there school me on the zeroing of this tool?

Thanks,

Greg

Zero the rod on the end . ;) There's an adjustment nut .

I assume you are referring to this adjustment nut.

How would one suggest I adjust this nut .002 without destroying the nut or rod? It is more than finger tight.

Adjustment Nut.jpg

That's the one . The nut is a slight interference thread. You should have this wrench in the case . Just grab the rod and turn the nut whichever way you need , it's split . Don't mar your rod ! :)

Attachments

• IMG_1948.JPG
    IMG_1948.JPG
    345.1 KB · Views: 5
Glad you got it worked out.

Two things I learned from my previous “Guy at Starrett” (I have a new one now):

1) Don’t be afraid to use more torque than you think you should, as long as you carefully clamp/protect the components.

2) Starrett repair techs soak incoming tools in Marvel Mystery Oil for up to a week before servicing to loosen crud.

2) Starrett repair techs soak incoming tools in Marvel Mystery Oil for up to a week before servicing to loosen crud.
Thanks for the follow-up. Given that I was using TOO BIG of tools, I don't think I would have gotten to the soaking stage. Flustered

But it did indeed take a bit more torque than I expected, but I was very carful.

Thanks again,

Greg

Not to hijack, but I just bought a Browne and Sharpe depth mike with wrench and no instructions. How do you swap rods?

No problem on the hijack. My questions were answered.

On mine, on top of the ratchet spindle, there is a small screw. I removed that screw, the ratcheting spindle and another knurled ring (lock ring?), and the rod came out the top. Hope this gives you a little insight.

Back