Cutting and dropping tree limbs from bucket

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
My son and I both have dead trees near the house...

Rent on an Telescopic Boom Lift is spendy and they need it back quickly.

My son spotted a deal:

Idea is use it all we need then re sell. Should turn a profit plus get our work done.

OK, I know they tie the limbs up so they do not drop to the ground when cut. But have not watched for the details on exactly how this is done. Anyone have advice? Been looking for a you tube - no joy so far.

If there is nothing below the branches let them drop. I have rented one smaller then that and I couldn't get all the way to what I needed to cut and had to use a pole saw.

If your over your house tie off the branch to something solid on your basket and let swing when you cut it off. I've had to use a throwing ball to throw a rope over a limb, tie a loop on the ground so it would tighten up on the branch when pulled tight. Every case is different, but with a machine like that you will have fun. I wish I was closure I like that kind of work, I would come and help.

Don't take any changes near power lines, I had a friend killed thinking he could pull the branch away from the line before it hit. He was wrong and paid with his life. Call the power company they will help.

I'm sure you have seen branches tied off to these, as I have too. I can assure you that this is bad form on every possible level, and contrary to every mechanical principal that makes the machines safe to use. It is a dangerous game that some people take on.

You'd be best served to drop the branches straight to the ground, and the ones you can't, those are best removed in VERY small pieces.

A pole saw would be your best friend. Even the smallest of man lift baskets gets awkward pretty easily, espeically when you first start to "open up" the tree so that you can get in.

Keep your thinking cap on, don't get into "go mode"...

Looks like a good deal. We had HUGE valley oaks hanging over our rental house and the landlord would do nothing about it. So my FIL knew a guy who had a pruning machine somewhat like that and his wife consented ONLY if she directed and her word was final. While he was working I asked her why the stipulation and she said because she was helping on the last job and he cut a limb and didn’t know it was supported by the limb below it. While he was maneuvering to get it the limb broke and came down on the cage which he ducked into as the limb came down on it. The limbs forced the arm to the ground then rolled off catapulting him over the machine like 30yrs and into the brush pile! They all just stood there stunned sure he was dead. He came up out of the brush pile without a scratch but white as a ghost.

Be super careful and never do that stuff by yourself.

Last edited:
NEVER tie to the machine... EVER!

Get good rope like climbing rope. Stuff is rated for 5000 pounds.

Or use a chain.

Be certain you are attaching well, attach above the cut to below the cut.

You can either add a pulley system to lower or cut up after.

We have a sycamore growing over the patio and have a 26 ft scissor lift with a 1000 pound platform rating.

We cut off a horizontal section that did not seem too large, had it tied to the tree side, and it dropped with a thunder when it came loose.

The chain held it fine, but it could have caused a shift in the machine.

We lowered to where we could then cut small chunks safely.

There is a warning sign on the equipment to not use on a windy day. A heavy tree certainly could cause problems.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

We use pruning towers in the orchard all the time. Stay far away from power lines. Electricity can travel back down a limb that contacts a line. Before you cut anything think and look where it will go. If over a house I hire some one with insurance. Place the bucket along side what you are going to cut never under. I prefer to stay away from bull ropes to lower limbs to the ground. I like to cut smaller pieces that can just fall to the ground. Good luck. Common sense will service you well. A rope tied to a limb (bull rope ) will go through a pulley over the top of the limb you are going to cut to a friction device on the ground. Never tie anything thing to the basket or boom. Even though I do this all the time in the orchard I hired someone with a crane to take out an oak tree over the two story house at the farm.

Last edited:
Keep in mind the bucket is only rated for 500 lbs. If at all possible, I would cut the brush from the main limb, then cut the limb into firewood or smaller pieces before letting it fall to the ground. Often times I see arborists tie a rope around a small firewood size log then cut and slowly lower it to the ground. Nothing is tied off to the bucket or any other part of the machine.

If you're anywhere near a building I would lower a small log with a rope. The last thing you want it to do is have it hit something on the way down and take a detour into someone or something like the building or the machine.

An interesting note. As I was searching for information I found 2 different sales notices for the same machine from Richie Brothers. It was originally sold on June 27th for $10,100.00.00. Then again on July 25th for $4,100.00.00. Check it out closely. The previous buyer may have found some problems that negated the sale, and it was resold at a lower price to reflect the work that needed to be done.

I've mostly seen tree cutters tie off a branch to itself, never to a lift. But this is a varsity move. Much safer to just drop.

There are tree-weight tables. A green branch weighs more than you think!

Back