Custom Tools from Alibaba

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The current version of my auto-retract threader requires significant modification of an OTS threading tool. This includes welding a piece on top of the shank to make it flush from front to back. It took a lot of work and a lot of argon. I decided to see if I could just order them made the way I need. I looked up a manufacturer of threading tools on Alibaba and contacted them. My contact's name was "Helen Pan" and she was very responsive and helpful. It took a while to clearly convey what I wanted. In the end, she sent me a copy of the drawing for a standard threading tool and I modified and returned it. I received a quote for 150 pcs and then asked about a sample before placing the order. She told me the minimum would be 10 pcs and quoted that quantity. The price for 10 pieces worked out to ~$18 ea. including shipping. I placed the order on 8/19 and received the parts on 9/20.

20240928_112456[1].jpg
Standard threader on left, custom threader on right.

For a quantity of 150 pieces, the price, including shipping, worked out to ~$10.50 ea. I've been paying $6-$8.50 for the standard threaders. Given the amount of labor saved, I've placed the order.
I'm considering having them quote another piece.

Back