Cross Slide Retainer Disassembly

Dontheo55

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a 7x lathe that I am making some mods to and dont know how to take off the slide retainer for the screw. I thought I would ask this time before I break something which is what I normally do. I have the handle off but most videos i have seen there is a set screw to remove the dial and retainer. Mine has nothing. I looked down the shaft where the handle was screwed in but did not see a retainig screw. Thought it might be a press fit but held off on the tappy tap tap and decided to ask.

I bought it used and it seems old but in good shape, as far as these lathes go. Any help or suggestions would be appreciaed.

Ted

Pics?

Trying to figure out what you mean by "slide retainer for the screw" in relation to the Cross Slide.
I think some of the older 7x lathes had a little friction band that the dial ran on, instead of using a grub screw drilled through the dial. You can see them in this picture from Little machine shop:
The little half circle clips, they ride in the groove on the shaft, and the micrometer dials can be adjusted with a friction fit. Should just pull off I'd imagine. Might have to wedge something between the dial and bearing block to get it moving.

Thats it, I will take a look in the morning. Yes, its the dial and bearing block bu LMS calls it a retainer. I cant get the dial off of this. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4479.jpeg
    IMG_4479.jpeg
    9.3 KB · Views: 10
I had to get my dial off my Real Bull (Vevor) lathe a week ago. Mine uses a grub screw setup, and the shaft was chewed up enough from the grub screw that the dial wouldn't budge. I got enough of a gap that I could use a cheap scale/rule to wedge between them and tap it in with a brass mallet I had. That got enough space where I could get my gear puller on and get it the rest of the way off.

Chucked the shaft up in the lathe, dialed it in for practice on the 4-jaw, and then used a stone on low speed to get rid of all the burs. Nice and smooth now, and put a small piece of brass between the grub screw and shaft to avoid future chowdering of the shaft. Can get a nice friction fit where the dial will stay put, but you can still adjust it.

Thats it, I will take a look in the morning. Yes, its the dial and bearing block bu LMS calls it a retainer. I cant get the dial off of this. Thanks
This is the diagram for my Micromark 7x16:
20241010 MM 7x16 Cross Slide.png

The only thing holding the Retainer #41 in place are the two SHCS #30, unless the Dial Spring #45 was pushed into the Retainer and has it jammed (the spring sits in the groove in the feedscrew shaft, sitting the dial (keep a cloth under/around the spring when you remove it or you will be buying one because you'll need find it!).

NOTE: On some models the far end of the feedscrew shaft is drilled & tapped (M4 IIRC) and there is a screw & washer that keeps the feedscrew from being fully backed out by accident. You need to either access this screw from the back or unscrew the cross slide from the nut and slide it off.

That little spring clip is infamous for flying off into hyperspace when you pull the dial off. Count yourself fortunate that it didn't happen!

Back