Craftsman 109 for $600?

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just wondering what these things are going for nowadays. I had one pop up close by for $600 and was wondering if that’s a fair price. I don’t need the lathe but for a good price I may get it. Looks like a very well kept machine

Thank you
I would avoid altogether.

I watched this video up to the part where he shows the stock spindle and nope'd right out.

For the right price it is most likely serviceable, but there's better offerings new in that price range and you wont be hearing me say something like that often.

I would avoid altogether.

I watched this video up to the part where he shows the stock spindle and nope'd right out.

For the right price it is most likely serviceable, but there's better offerings new in that price range and you wont be hearing me say something like that often.
After watching that video I understand completely,lol

$600?? It might be worth it if a couple of gold krugerrands where thrown in to sweeten the deal.

These 109 lathes are weird.

They are not completely terrible lathes, but they are quite limited. I have one, and for the $200 I paid, I think it was a fair trade. I was curious and the particular lathe was in good condition with a nice selection of tooling. I knew going in they are a pretty marginal lathe. Really kind of a shame that they aren't better because the post WW2 models with the turned aluminum on the head, are sharp looking little lathes.
For somebody doing non-precision artistic work, I could see it being satisfactory. I also have no problem suggesting that a $400 Vevor 7x14 lathe is most likely a better value.

The weird part is they seem to be somewhat collectable. Maybe it was just Covid madness but for a while I saw these going for as much as $800. Completed sales on ebay, not just wild asking prices. That madness seems to be over though as I'm still seeing some wild asking prices, but they don't seem to moving very fast now even at a more reasonable $300-400.

Last edited:
These 109 lathes are weird.

They are not completely terrible lathes, but they are quite limited. I have one, and for the $200 I paid. Really kind of a shame that they aren't better because the post WW2 models with the turned aluminum on the head, are sharp looking little lathes.
For somebody doing non-precision artistic work, I could see it being satisfactory. I also have no problem suggesting that a $400 Vevor 7x14 lathe is most likely a better value.

The weird part is they seem to be somewhat collectable. Maybe it was just Covid madness but for a while I saw these going for as much as $800. Completed sales on ebay, not just wild asking prices. That madness seems to be over though as I'm still seeing some wild asking prices, but they don't seem to moving very fast now even at a more reasonable $300-400.

I wasn’t sure if that was the same model I had, but yes they looked cool.

However I believe that turning was just a heavy foil sticker.

I stumbled on one in a garage clean out and got that free along with a bunch of other antique stuff. The owner of the house died and his kids just wanted everything gone.

I was happy to flip that lathe for $180 or so, circa 2006. For that price I’d buy one to play with knowing its limitations and keep it on a shelf for a conversation starter.

Hard pass. Unless you are on a remote island and there are no other machines in existence, maybe. But I would still pass.

However I believe that turning was just a heavy foil sticker.

No it is a thin (maybe 16ga) sheet of turned aluminum.

This is mine when I got it.

109.jpg

I'm a sucker for Art Deco styling.

As a lathe for arts and crafts type projects, chess pieces, salt shakers, decorative baubles it would be fine. For actual light machining projects it can be used, but it is far from ideal. It doesn't have graduated dials on any of the hand wheels so everything would be stop and measure as you go. This was basically the Chinese mini lathe of the 1950s, 1/4 the price of an Atlas 618. Something a teenager with a paper route might have actually been able to save up for.

One thing it does have going for it is threading. It uses the same change gears as the Atlas, so can cut a lot of threads.

Back