Converted my G9742 miter bandsaw to a variable speed DC motor.

Ken226

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
The G9742 comes with a 1/2 horsepower single phase AC motor with a 3 postion step pulley for speed changes.

I had an old 1hp variable speed DC motor laying around for the last 10 years. It was the original motor from the G0704 mill I bought and converted to CNC back around 2013ish. The G0704 cnc conversion got a 1.5hp BLDC motor, so its original 1hp DC motor spent the last decade sitting on a shelf.

Yesterday it got mounted up to my Grizzly G9742 and wired up with a new KB controller board, in a new control panel/enclosure.

So far, it seems like it'll be a worthwhile upgrade, but time will tell.

IMG_20240820_094213029.jpg

Very cool- I like it- why would you need to change direction?

Very cool- I like it- why would you need to change direction?

Probably wouldn't.

I just happened to have those switches in a drawer and wanted to use them rather than buying something else or throw it away.

I'm cheap, and since I paid for it a long time ago for some long forgotten project that never happened, I just used it for this.

Maybe it'll work for un-snagging the blade if it catches or something. Just a half thought, I doubt it would even be useful for that.

Didn't you ever see "Batteries not included"? or "Christine"? :cupcake:

Just outa curiousity, I tested reverse at un-snagging.
I didn't expect it, but it actually worked. I set up a 4" diameter aluminum solid round stock and set the hydraulic down feed at a much higher than reasonable speed.

It hung up a lot and switching to reverse un-stuck it every time!

A rookie error, but corrected today.

It's a miter type band saw. If I ever want to cut at an angle, the entire upper swing portion of the bandsaw has to swivel up to 45* left and right.

Control panel relocated, with the help of some aluminum angle and rivnuts.

As is obvious, when it's positioned for 45* angle cuts, the old control box location wasn't gonna fly.IMG_20240828_111053453_HDR.jpg

Back