Considering Buying a King 1236ML Looking for Opinions

Jason Silliker

Registered
Registered
Hey guys, new member here, thanks for letting me join. I’m sure I’m going to find lots of useful information here.
Just a little background, I’ve been a Millwright since 1996, Licensed Red Seal in 2001. Our workplace has recently offered second trades for us, and so “ON PAPER ONLY LOL” I’m a block three machinist but have a very minimal hours.
Anyway, I have a guy about 10 minutes away from me that has a King 1236 lathe in really good condition. Just looking for a small lathe to use around home and put some hours in (non-apprenticeship hours obviously). I was originally thinking a 1440 or so but here in PEI Canada they are few and far between locally.
He’s asking 4000 Which new, not on sale is about half price, right now they generally sell for 6000 on sale and another 500 to 700 for the stand. Just looking for guys opinions, etc. It’s just going to be for minimal home shop use, but I do work with a lot of mild steel. Just wondering how well it will turn bushings, small shaft, pins, etc..

Going to spend some time on the forums making a list of do’s and don’ts and general practices as far as shop temperature settings, general care, etc. etc. I know the basics but feel free to FLOOD me with all your titbits of information lol.

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:
If the King is made in Taiwan, it would be just fine for what you are doing.
Avoid the mainland China lathes, the QC is very poor

It appears to be a version of the Grizzly G4003, might be worth reviewing the previous discussion on that lathe.

Yeah, I read that one I didn’t really want to start a new thread, but I’m hoping this one will become a kind of personal one for once I get it and get it home and set up etc.
Anything I’ve read seems positive except for one gentleman had an issue with gearing when changing speeds. They seem to be not bad machine. I’d love to have a 1440 precision Matthews or even a 1548 but obviously it’s just going to be a hobby so I have to be realistic lol. Four grand might even be a little high for this machine. Generally things around here don’t decrease too much and I generally look after things pretty well. So if I do decide to upsize later on, I’m not too concerned about getting my money back.

Hello and welcome.

12x36 is about the perfect size for a hobby machine in my opinion, big enough to do real work but will fit in a compact space.

Generally I agree, Taiwan built is what you want. But, if supply is limited in your area it might not make sense to pass on this one just because it came from the mainland (if it did).

Good thing about buying used is you should have the opportunity to inspect and even run it before handing over your money. I bought a used 12x36 Taiwan built machine a while back for $850 I think but it was quite a bit older and did require some work. Since you do have a little experience you should be able to tell if the machine in question is complete and functional but don't hesitate to reach out on here if you need help. Even just getting it moved will go much smoother with an experienced hand onboard.

Ask if you can make some test cuts in steel and if it meets your expectations make your best deal.

Of course, we haven't seen the actual machine but your description is "really good condition" so if that's the case I don't think you'll go wrong at $4000cad (~$3000usd). Do any accessories come with it?

John

As been mentioned Chinese lathes can be very hit or miss. It really helps to get a good understanding of how everything works then run it through its paces. Like to be able to do a two collar test. For that kind of $$ I’d expect it to be mighty good. Any machinists at work friends? Like enough they would want to give you a second opinion?

Hello and welcome.

12x36 is about the perfect size for a hobby machine in my opinion, big enough to do real work but will fit in a compact space.

Generally I agree, Taiwan built is what you want. But, if supply is limited in your area it might not make sense to pass on this one just because it came from the mainland (if it did).

Good thing about buying used is you should have the opportunity to inspect and even run it before handing over your money. I bought a used 12x36 Taiwan built machine a while back for $850 I think but it was quite a bit older and did require some work. Since you do have a little experience you should be able to tell if the machine in question is complete and functional but don't hesitate to reach out on here if you need help. Even just getting it moved will go much smoother with an experienced hand onboard.

Ask if you can make some test cuts in steel and if it meets your expectations make your best deal.

Of course, we haven't seen the actual machine but your description is "really good condition" so if that's the case I don't think you'll go wrong at $4000cad (~$3000usd). Do any accessories come with it?

John
Unfortunately, John, it doesn’t have a lot of tooling other than the factory stuff.

As been mentioned Chinese lathes can be very hit or miss. It really helps to get a good understanding of how everything works then run it through its paces. Like to be able to do a two collar test. For that kind of $$ I’d expect it to be mighty good. Any machinists at work friends? Like enough they would want to give you a second opinion?
Any reviews I’ve read on it have been pretty good. I believe it is Taiwanese. Yeah there’s a couple guys at work I can bring along. I know the guy that’s selling it a little bit so I’m not too worried about it. Silly as it sounds like, I said if I don’t like it or want to go bigger, not have any trouble unloading it and getting my money back.
I generally don’t mind dropping money on tools as they generally hold their value and I’m pretty good about looking after stuff. I guess I’ve wasted money on worse things lol.

Make sure the apron feeds all work (long and cross) since the gears back there can be difficult to source and replace
If it comes with a steady rest and hopefully two chucks I think the price is reasonable considering where you are located
Also check of course the usual two main items (spindle bearings and way condition):

The ways can be checked visually and the spindle bearings by spinning the chuck by hand and feeling for roughness
You can also chuck up a large pipe or bar and tug on it feeling for play- that will usually give some idea of the condition

Back