Coarse tooth roughing end mill vs. Fine tooth

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
I'm thinking finish would be somewhat better with more cutting edges, but material removal rate would be less. Mike

I have one carbide fine pitched roughing endmill and I love it since it leaves a good enough finish that I can often use it as is.

Found a good deal on Amazon. Niagara was having this on sale for $37. I managed to buy one last minute, now it's back up to $82

Your machine is too small to run a 1'' rougher. We don't even use that large on our Haas, 5/8'' max, and it is a 5500 lb, 7.5HP spindle machine. On my 3500 lb, 3HP spindle machine the largest endmill I normally use is 1/2'', and mostly 3/8''.

The only time I use larger endmills is when I need to cut very deep (>1.5''), then I may use larger endmills to keep the flex to a minimum.

I have and use 3/4" on a Bridgeport. I probably can't use it to it's full potential, but it's working well when I want to rough parts. I switch to smaller finishing endmills for the last 0.050 or so. Sounds like he ended up getting a 1/2", which should work well for his machine.

I bought the same end mill from Accuzize it's a fine tooth. I have a 3 hp BP clone. I have yet to use it . I normally use from 1/4 to 1/2".

I've been getting mixed signals on here on what size endmills I should be using.

PCmaker,
Once you get to know your new mill you will be the judge of what works for you.
We all have different experiences, some much more, some much less.
I don’t share your confidence in buying tooling on Amazon.
I just don’t trust the representation of the product being offered.
I hope it works out for you. Watching your threads over the last year or so, you have learned a ton!

Just to put everything in perspective, here is a block of steel, a 3/8 end mill, and a 50HP spindle. Gives you an idea what modern tooling will take.

Back