[How do I?] Clone Mill X & Y Axis feed nuts stuck

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm back to working on my B'Port Clone rebuild/refurb but I have a problem

The X & Y axis feed nuts are stuck in the housing. Actually I was able to get the Y axis (front to back) nut out by threading in the feed screw and pressing it out on a press. That may not be the right way but that's all I could figure out to work. And it was tightish.

For the X, I can't find any pins or screws, the key was driven out, the screws that tighten backlash are out.....I can't see anything that is holding it in. I would press it out also, but its reverse thread from the Y lead screw so......

The threads were filled with grease and I'm really worried about the backlash.
View attachment 496135
View attachment 496136

The feed nut looks different, with 'extra' slots already cut in it, to me.

I'm going to put a DRO on this mill, I already have it on hand. I'm wondering about splitting the feed nuts or just leaving them and letting the DRO worry about backlash.

But first I'm trying to figure out how to get the other nut out.
I'm open for suggestions

Do you even need to take it out whole?
If you are replacing the nut to get less backlash. Then why not destroy the old nut, then put in the replacement.

If you are not going repalce it, than just do a clean up.Just wash in de-greaser, oil and reassemble.

Do you even need to take it out whole?
If you are replacing the nut to get less backlash. Then why not destroy the old nut, then put in the replacement.

If you are not going repalce it, than just do a clean up.Just wash in de-greaser, oil and reassemble.
That's a good point. I guess I could just tolerate the backlash with the DRO.

Back