Clausing Lathe

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
This on CL:

https://medford.craigslist.org/tls/6113143454.html

Good deal? I'm tempted and it is close by. Maybe I should buy it on spec? Now that we are in our new home with a larger shop...

I sure don't "need" it so if anyone else is interested goferit. I'll even go over and check it out for you.

That looks just like mine. I got mine for 1,000 but not much came with it.
I absolutely am in heat over this thing but my last lathe was a grizzly 9 x 19 benchtop so I am biased.
I have a 12 x 24
IMG_20170216_1303494_rewind.jpg Mr pete has one but his is just a ted newer and has the clutch/brake . Mine does not but it all works good.

Price is reasonable, assuming no issues with it. The cross feed looks different than my 5914, not sure if there was a design change or if someone modified it.

This is what the owner just sent me in response to my request for more info:

South Bend Lathe 14 1/2 -16 Swing 16 Length of bed 6 Catalog 8117, single phase if interested will send more pics, was used until my husband passed.

Doesn't make sense since it is clearly a Clausing.

Could be she has two lathes to sell and doesn't realize the difference. I'd make the drive over, figure it out and give her the money.

DSCF7507_zpsnapdipbg.jpg

That is just the production cross slide. I agree, I'm guessing someone help her with the add and probably has more than one lathe. Looks like a pretty nice shop.

I owned a similar Clausing lathe for 20 years or so, nice machine. Be aware that it has a variable pitch sheave drive (Reeves) through a clutch/brake assembly, these are wear parts. If Clausing still supports these machines then it is an excellent deal. If not be prepared to make a good number of replacement parts for the drive yourself.

If the machine is under power when you go to look at it rotate the spindle speed control, the round device on the back with the handle up to full speed and if it vibrates like mad run away, if very smooth then buy it, also make sure that the brake works which may be a simple linkage adjustment however. The rotary speed handle is a master hydraulic cylinder that controls the slave cylinder at the drive end, these also fail disabling the variable speed control.

One of the advantages of such a drive is the ability to change the spindle on the fly which is an excellent feature in every way.

In the Pacific Northwest,that's a lot of lathe for the money. I'd get over there quickly and have a look, before someone else does.

If you go, check out the vise - that looks like it might be a Parker vise. If it is, and if its for sale, I would grab it!

Back