Causing Power Feed 'Cam' Bushing

walterwoj

Registered
Registered
I have gotten my new lathe inside the garage and started cleaning and improverating it. Now the fun begins!. Here is my lathe:
PXL_20240612_224457685.jpg
When I bought it the guy said there was a worn bushing on the power feed lever/cam thingy. When the lever is disengaged it hangs at quite the angle. When engaged it appears to work just fine. I suspect this machine has run a lot with the cam disengaged and the keyway in the ?driveshaft? has egged it out a lot:
PXL_20240613_225838258.jpgPXL_20240613_225941488.jpg
So the casting does not have a bushing! It's jut a casting and it is egged out a lot. The one side is1.115" when I believe the nominal size should be 1". The driveshaft is .995" at the end where it is unlikely to be worn. So not I need to make bushings for this. The first question then becomes: Steel (4140 or 12L14) or bronze? I looked up a piece of 1.5"x12" bronze and it is pricey! Even by the inch it is $15.80. Or do I get really clever and put in a set of ball bearings!?

Also, anyone know where to find 20-ish 1/4" Straight Press fit Flip-Top Oil Cups?

Last edited:
The answer to the question is in what you actually want from the machine and how much you are willing to work and spend to get there.

If one end carrier is worn, likelihood is so is the other. Is the casting large enough to machine to take a ball bearing? would it better to machine out to take a bronze bushing? which is cheaper and longer lasting, conversely, which will carry a heavy rotating shaft the longest?

Is it possible to acquire a replacement carrier in better condition?

IF IT WERE ME I would look at all options, what it would take to get there, how long it would take to get there and what the long term benefits and drawbacks would be for each solution.

Only you know how much you want to spend or how much work you wish to carry out. That is part of the consideration process before ever spending a single red cent.

Thanks, I was asking here to get some other peoples 2 cents. I have not replaced bushings like these before. I want to do something that will last almost forever. I'm willing to spend a little extra to get it right. Also the one side was 1.115", the OTHER was1.080" I just motioned the worst side to be brief.

Will bronze hold up long term or is it too soft?
-and-
Will 4140 be too hard and wear on the shaft? (I'd rather wear out another set up bushings than the shaft, but I also have 4140 in stock)

Needle bearings wouldn't be a bad idea. Not much more expensive than the bronze bushings. They can be secured with epoxy if you miss the press fit diameter. Longer lasting than the bronze, and won't where the shaft too much like the 4140. Provide there is sufficient clearance easy enough with cheap hi clearance bearings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240614_072625_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240614_072625_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240614_072507_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240614_072507_Chrome.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 4
Needle bearings are hard on soft shafts, not recommended. The oil fittings are available from McMaster Carr. I would bore it out to fit a bronze bushing, NOT Oilite.

@benmychree: I'm ok with overkill if it isn't going to damage something. I found it is significantly cheaper than regular bronze (C932/C954)! check this out: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CZSDLNQG/
$56 for a foot on amazon vs $163 for a foot from speedy metals

Also I did see the ones on mcmaster but I need 20 of them and at $9 each they are a little spendy ... I was hoping someone had found them cheap somewhere....maybe in a 10-20 pack (cheaper by the dozen and all that). The last owner of the lathe liked to hit the oil cups with a hammer I think.

Back