Carbide inserts sizes

Bruce Billett

Registered
Registered
I have a number of SDNCN1010 tools. Some take square, diamond, triangle, etc. bits. I can look at the pictures in adds and get the shape I want and I can plow through all the different rakes etc. to figure out what I think I want. However what seems to elude me is the actual basic size. These tools came with the lathe so I didn't exactly order them, it was a package deal and the inserts were not specified,
Any help?

I think I have a pdf file that shows most of them but it is still confusing for me. The only way for me to do it is to have the insert in my hand and chart in the other hand. Sometimes I forget that I am talking on my phone when I am looking for it.

Maybe it's age but everytime, I think I've got the numbers straight in my head, I realise I've forgotten and have to go back to a chart on the internet, or if I'm in tbe shop David's book! :grin:

All:
Thank you all very much for the help!
Next. ,WHAT?
Above most take an ISO 0702. Cool, I'll look that up on the chart mentioned above and see if what I am thinking now will/can match up.
Sadly, No? I found the ISO However the 0702 numbers do not seem to match anything in the charts I have looked up.
At this point I understand the angle, radius, chip break, etc.
However what is truly escaping is the size? I suspect that an insert for a 1" tool will not even come close to fitting a 10mm. I do not see anything anywhere that would indicate to me what in fact would fit in a 10mm tool.
Does what I'm asking make any sense? I'm not even sure I know how to ask the question other than to say I have a SDNCN1010 tool and I want to try some other configurations.
Thanks guys.

You might find this helpful.

Back