Can you tell me what these tools are?

yooperfella

Registered
Registered
I'm new to machining and purchased a bunch of old tools and I need help in knowing what they are and used for, I'm hoping someone hereIMG_0035.JPG IMG_0036.JPG IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0038.JPG IMG_0042.JPG IMG_0045.JPG IMG_0047.JPG might know? I appreciate any help.

You have top left a revolution counter top right ditto
next row left ditto, right trammel points (use like a compass for scribing lines)
left, another revolution counter right some sort of micrometer stop, use unknown
bottom left, same micrometer thing.
The rev. counters are used to record the number of revolutions that a rotating member makes, used in conjunction with a watch with second hand.

I'm sure the item in the first photo is called senior moment or brain *&^%, because I've never used one but have asked what it's purpose is when I picked it up. Someone please help!

The 4th photo shows trammel points, and they are used for layout work. They are connected together with a bar (round, square, triangle). The one with the pencil attachment is used similar to a compass for mechanical drawings. In essence, a pair of dividers or compass, stretched out.

I'm sure the item in the first photo is called senior moment or brain *&^%, because I've never used one but have asked what it's purpose is when I picked it up. Someone please help!

The 4th photo shows trammel points, and they are used for layout work. They are connected together with a bar (round, square, triangle). The one with the pencil attachment is used similar to a compass for mechanical drawings. In essence, a pair of dividers or compass, stretched out.
Russ, the tool in the first three pictures is a Starrett revolution counter, used with a watch or stopwatch to determine rpm, or by itself to just count revolutions. There are lots of them around, they must have been really useful before electronics came into play.

Russ, the tool in the first three pictures is a Starrett revolution counter, used with a watch or stopwatch to determine rpm, or by itself to just count revolutions. There are lots of them around, they must have been really useful before electronics came into play.

There were plenty of clues, I just wasn't connecting. The thumb grip on one side with the contact on the other and I've held one a couple of times whuile asking the question; What is this used for. I'm sure it was a standard tool in every machinsits tool chest. The trammel point set is nice and a little ornate for their use and I am curious what the bar might have look like given the triangular space where it's secured.

There were plenty of clues, I just wasn't connecting. The thumb grip on one side with the contact on the other and I've held one a couple of times whuile asking the question; What is this used for. I'm sure it was a standard tool in every machinsits tool chest. The trammel point set is nice and a little ornate for their use and I am curious what the bar might have look like given the triangular space where it's secured.
I would love to have a set of trammel points like that set...

Yup, rev counter in the first pic. See those little bumps? They allowed you to watch the second hand of your watch and count the revs without looking.

OTE=for their use and I am curious what the bar might have look like given the triangular space where it's secured.[/QUOTE]

The beam would actually be pretty plain, and usually supplied by the end user.

image.jpeg

-frank

OTE=for their use and I am curious what the bar might have look like given the triangular space where it's secured.

The beam would actually be pretty plain, and usually supplied by the end user.

View attachment 232690

-frank[/QUOTE]

I've seen plenty with a piece of oak or other hardwood used but I guess the photo had me guessing about a piece of ornate cast bar. This and the fact that all I have used had the points sliding over the bar. If I had taken a closer look I would have noticed that a through the hole bar would have negated the fine adjustment of the trammel point. Now I see the little ears/tabs on each side are connected to the thumb screw to prevent it from screwing into the bar. In some of the layout situations I get myself into I end up with a 10' long strip of sheetmetal with holes drilled at the desired radius, but most of the time the 18" or 36" long sets I have do the job. My 18" Starrett has an extra point with bent tip that allows for transferring measurments with one end touching the stock. -Russ

Back