CAM Alternatives in 2024

jdeng

Registered
Registered
I did a search of the site for “CAM” and didn’t find much recent discussion so I figured I’d be that guy.

I have a perpetual license of Solidworks (2022). I love it and have been using some version for 20 years now. Nowadays they include CAMWorks if you keep your subscription active AND they make you pay for a two year subscription even with the perpetual license. Yeesh. I won’t be continuing the subscription when it expires (because aside from the CAM, I find zero value in it) and will need to find a CAM solution.

I have a Tormach PCNC440 and I’m pretty new to cnc in general. Even with all the years of Solidworks experience I found CAMWorks to be pretty difficult. But I put the effort in and, with some finesse, I can usually make the program do what I want. It often makes horrible decisions (like unnecessarily slot cutting, for instance) but it’s fine.

Very long winded intro: at that price point of $1000 what are my options? I see HSMWorks is 700/year. Anyone used OneCNC? I’d prefer perpetual licenses even if it means I don’t get product support. Bc I never use product support.

I also have VCarve Pro for my router but I can’t really figure out how to do 3 axis with it. Also the post doesn’t really work. Maybe I’m missing something here…. I like their software and would sure like to make that work if it’s possible.

I know (or expect) this question has a hundred different answers from a hundred different people but I’d welcome any discussion y’all are willing to have.

I don't think VCarve does 3 axis. If you like that program, you might try Aspire. Though it doesn't seem like it's really intended for non flat carving of wood. You can adjust speeds and feeds to use it on metal. Though it's not really intended for that. Looks like that runs about 2k. I haven't used either other than the free trials.

Fusion is subscription, but the CAM works pretty well.

I haven't used it, but looked into MeshCam a little. It looked like a decent option and does have a perpetual license. Might be worth a look. My CNC is a router, so I haven't done a lot of metal with CAM.

If you check out Vetric's compare page, you'll see that "3D machining" is a feature for VCarve Desktop and above. Searching their forums and playing with buttons has been kind-of inconclusive for me. That's why I think I'm missing something fundamental. It is an easy software though and frankly most of the stuff I do is 2.5 anyway. I'm definitely not running any production, although I do make money and don't qualify for free Fusion.

I don't mind paying for something, but the big packages that are in the 10k zone are not realistic for me. I've tried MeshCAM and found it to be as frustrating as CAMWorks but without the solidworks nativity and for roughly the same price....so figured I didn't give it much of my time. Thanks for the suggestion though, happy to have more.

I have been using estlcam for years with my sherline mill. It's cheap though basic. The author is German but the program will run in English. You buy it, you own it. No subscriptions or maintenance fees. See estlcam.de for more information.

Back