buttress threading.........

carlos.w1969

Registered
Registered
does anyone know how to remove buttress threaded glands from hydraulic cylinders without stripping the thread upon removal?

The only time I had to deal with buttress threads, was trying to get them out of a ram on a monster punch press. The threads locked up so bad, we couldn't budge them using massive heat and 2 tractors. The company finally called up and said they were buying a new press, after we worked a week on that job.:dunno:

A few months later, just for the hell of it...tried it again, it came right apart. So, I mounted the ram, cut new threads, and sold it to another Co.

Haven't cut any buttress threads since. Sorry, no help here.

I had to look it up I had no idea what a buttress thread was so I posted a pic for others
what is the purpose self locking?
steve

buttress-coarse-thread.gif

Butress threads on Hydraulics are primarily to prevent high pressure leaks at the gland. If they didn't use green loctite to assemble it you can unscrew them once you get the initial torque off of the gland nut. If they used green assembly loctite, then you will have to use heat the whole way apart and spend a good bit of time cleaning the residue. Either way new seals and o-rings should be used to re-assemble the cylinder or rams. The torque on the gland buts and clevis rods can be very high. We use a bucking table with a large pin to lay the cylinder on the table and hang the end over the edge to turn the gland nuts. I have run into cylinders we just cut off and rethreaded because of corrosion or loctite/galling. Just so ya know.
Bob

Be careful people a Butress thread is a locking thread. Hydraulic shops have special tools to take these things apare. You can easily ruin a cylinder. Just something else to take into consideration.

"Billy G" :whistle:

PS -- Why is this thread here?? Welcome Carlos

Back