Broaching splines

john mullen

Active User
Registered
I am interested in splining shafts and internal splines that will fit on the shafts. can anyone recommend where I should start looking for info on this process. Videos, text, photos, I have index capability, milling machine,lathe and just enough knowledge to want to do some of this type of machining . any help will be appreciated

Watch this ! I'm interrested in this too. Tools for the inside are very expensive . I made several keyways on the inside like that. Outside shaft is no problem with horizontal mill and dividing head. [i have a VN #6]

I need to know diameter and depth formulas for different size splines.. Are there any text books that may help with that

I remember doing that many years ago on a bridgeport with a braoching head on the back. Turned the ram around over the table and the head quill would go up and down to stops that could be set for stroke length. You could also use a wrench to turn the gears so you can see the stroke you were setting. WOW...just realized.....I'm getting old because I haven't seen one of those heads in years.

I remember doing that many years ago on a bridgeport with a braoching head on the back. Turned the ram around over the table and the head quill would go up and down to stops that could be set for stroke length. You could also use a wrench to turn the gears so you can see the stroke you were setting. WOW...just realized.....I'm getting old because I haven't seen one of those heads in years.

My neighbor has one of those.

we used to do some rotary broaching on the automatics here slaters is the place to go for that information

Watch this ! I'm interrested in this too. Tools for the inside are very expensive . I made several keyways on the inside like that. Outside shaft is no problem with horizontal mill and dividing head. [i have a VN #6]
Neat! A concern for me would be rigidly locking the spindle, also alignment of the cutting tool. I've done similar things (cutting indicator dials, keyways, etc.) but never really thought about splines. One suggestion to be to make a single tooth go/no go gage first. You could check each spline as it is cut. It would save the need for the hammer and gear puller at the end.

I looked up slater tool co and they have int/ext rotary broach's up to 1"... However the cost is very extreme,.... 2 broaching holders and 2 broaching tools are in excess of $5.000 way to much for me. I'll have to come up with some other way ..
I am thinking that I could make the internal broaching tool on the mill myself... I'm wanting to spline a 1" thick aluminum bar for a 1" splined shaft.. could I possibly press the internal broach through the aluminum bar with a 20 ton press through a properly sized pre drilled hole in the aluminum bar?? I can easily make a 1" Dia. 48 spline cutter on the mill using my dividing head, taper it back from the cutting end, cup out the nose and then harden it. The 1" shaft could be splined on the ends on the mill as usual... any thoughts on my idea on the cutter??

Back