Bozo stopped by the shop today

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Yep spent a couple of hours getting the cone gears off the cone gear shaft . They must all be removed from right to left to get to the farthest one on the left which is the one that drives the cone shaft. I ordered an 18 tooth gear about 3 weeks ago to replace what I thought was the last one on the left (the drive gear) Bozo likes to speed read assy drawings and the 18 tooth gear is really a 16 tooth gear and it is part of the cone shaft (not removable) . This is the gear that was the damaged one so I do not need the 18 tooth gear. So I've spent the rest of the afternoon doing the shop research to determine what gear cutter to use to re-cut the teeth on the shaft.

So here is the deal. The O/D of the gear is 1.110 inches. the number of teeth is 16. so not knowing what the DP is I did the math. I came up with a DP 16 14.5 pressure angle and cutter #2 from the 16 D/P set. Somebody want to check my math before I invite Bozo back over.

#Note to self: Stop trying to speed read.

A 16 tooth 16 D.P. gear has a theoretical O.D. of 1,125" so it looks like you're good. You're your own re: pressure angle.

A 16 tooth 16 D.P. gear has a theoretical O.D. of 1,125" so it looks like you're good. You're your own re: pressure angle.
When the gear started out new it probably was 1.125. I was thinking the same thing.

When the gear started out new it probably was 1.125. I was thinking the same thing.
That surface shouldn't wear as it is never in contact with another surface in normal use. However, from what I have seen, the O.D. dimension hardly ever hits the theoretical. It is a non-critical surface regarding function so tolerances can afford to be looser.

That surface shouldn't wear as it is never in contact with another surface in normal use. However, from what I have seen, the O.D. dimension hardly ever hits the theoretical. It is a non-critical surface regarding function so tolerances can afford to be looser.
I will get to the repair sometime this week. What's the recommendation Tig weld back the damaged areas or braze them with oxy/acte.

I understand that it is a design variable that can be used to deal with shaft-to-shaft distances. In some cases, the distance between shafts is inconvenient and cannot be changed. So you can adjust tooth length a little to make everything work out. Totally theoretical for me. Does this sound right to anyone in-the-know?

I understand that it is a design variable that can be used to deal with shaft-to-shaft distances. In some cases, the distance between shafts is inconvenient and cannot be changed. So you can adjust tooth length a little to make everything work out. Totally theoretical for me. Does this sound right to anyone in-the-know?
You cannot change gear tooth length to compensate for a center to center mismatch. The O.D. of a gear can vary slightly because it doesn't mate with another gear. Just as you can decrease the diameter of a screw thread slightly and still have a working thread.

It's the pitch diameter that must be maintained to acceptable tolerances. A deeper root or a smaller o.d. just increases clearances althoughit can have an effect on tooth strength if it strays too far from the design specification.

Back