Boyer Shultz 618(?), Smart or Dumb Move

Braf1895

Registered
Registered
I've been looking for a surface grinder to add to the growing garage shop (I don't think it'll ever stop expanding at this point), and happened to run into this guy for sale... for $150. Now, I'm fully aware of the "you get what you pay for" saying that always seems to come back to haunt me, but I'm wondering if anyone has any input on this guy. For the price, I don't think it's too much of a gamble if it needs a bit of work.
grinder.jpg

Put a dial indicator on the spindle safety guard and sweep the table.
You’ll see quick if there’s any problems

If it can be powered up listen to the spindle. If not turn the spindle by hand and feel how the bearings are. Replacing spindle bearings is expensive and hard to justify on and older machine.

I've been looking for a surface grinder to add to the growing garage shop (I don't think it'll ever stop expanding at this point), and happened to run into this guy for sale... for $150. Now, I'm fully aware of the "you get what you pay for" saying that always seems to come back to haunt me, but I'm wondering if anyone has any input on this guy. For the price, I don't think it's too much of a gamble if it needs a bit of work.
View attachment 494712
May be a dumb move on my part but I got one of these in a lot of grinders I purchased . Think I may have $400 in mine

What size is the chuck and does it work?
That may be where the money is at. If the chuck is in decent condition and still works. You really can’t go wrong at that price

Welp, I responded to the seller pretty quick yesterday, and it was already sold. Oh well. Perhaps it was a sign that my garage is not ready for everything to be caked in grinding dust (just yet ;)). Thank you all for the input, at least I have more knowledge for next time.

Welp, I responded to the seller pretty quick yesterday, and it was already sold. Oh well. Perhaps it was a sign that my garage is not ready for everything to be caked in grinding dust (just yet ;)). Thank you all for the input, at least I have more knowledge for next time.
I’m sure another will come along. Just wasn’t meant to be. That’s how I look at it when I lose one

Back