Big step up!

dbb-the-bruce

Dave
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Ordered my new Tormach 770M on Monday, just found out it's ready to ship. No idea what to expect for transit WI -> NH time but should be here sometime next week. I'm psyched! My neighbor has a Bobcat skid steer with forks and is going to get the pallet around my house to the basement entrance from my driveway. Another friend is loaning me an engine hoist. Got it figured out where it fits in the shop.

I've spent the last 3-4 years learning CAD/CAM/CNC with Fusion 360 and a Carbide 3D Nomad 3. I think that time was really worth it - working with brass and stainless pretty much at the limit of the machine. It's a great little machine but has a small envelope 8x8x3 and somewhat underpowered high speed spindle for working with metal.

I added the spindle speeder to the Tormach - most of my work is still going to be on the small side with tiny endmils for details. Best part is I'll FINALLY be able to drill and tap with my CNC Mill.

I'll post some pics when it gets here.

Last edited:
Ordered my new Tormach 770M on Monday, just found out it's ready to ship. No idea what to expect for transit MN -> NH time but should be here sometime next week. I'm psyched! My neighbor has a Bobcat skid steer with forks and is going to get the pallet around my house to the basement entrance from my driveway. Another friend is loaning me an engine hoist. Got it figured out where it fits in the shop.

I've spent the last 3-4 years learning CAD/CAM/CNC with Fusion 360 and a Carbide 3D Nomad 3. I think that time was really worth it - working with brass and stainless pretty much at the limit of the machine. It's a great little machine but has a small envelope 8x8x3 and somewhat underpowered high speed spindle for working with metal.

I added the spindle speeder to the Tormach - most of my work is still going to be on the small side with tiny endmils for details. Best part is I'll FINALLY be able to drill and tap with my CNC Mill.

I'll post some pics when it gets here.
You had me worried for a moment. One reason that I bought my 770 Series 3 machine was that Tormach was local and I could pick it up. They moved to Madison a few years back which is still a fairly short drive.

I'm curious as to why you added the spindle speeder. One reason that I bought the 770 rather than the 1100 because of the higher spindle speed. I have always found the 10K rpm more than adequate and I use end mills as small as .2mm.

Fixed it! too fast on the state abbreviations. I'm so far east, everything west of NY is more or less the same :D (no not really)

My experience is that you can run small end mills (.0625 and smaller, I have used a .005) at significantly faster feeds when RPM is 15 - 25K. I may be a little biased in this due to the Nomad 3's high speed lower power spindle.

I'm looking forward to having enough power to feed faster. The 770 spindle power is rated at 1.1 kW - (1100 W) The Nomad 3 is 130W. So with the 3:1 spindle speeder the 770 should be almost triple the power of the Nomad at higher speeds.

And a lot more power running without the speeder. The Nomad has been a great machine to learn on but it just doesn't have the nuts.

Back