Best Chinese VFD???

seagiant

Registered
Registered
Hi,
Building a Disc Grinder for knife grinding.

Found a 3PH 1.5 HP Motor to use but want an admittedly cheap but good VFD...

Price is a factor, ideas?

Found nothing on this subject in a search!

Hi,
Well, I know that, but what is recommended?

What brand has people had good luck with???

Thank you!

A sealed NEMA 4 is recommended otherwise put it in a sealed metal enclosure with enough volume to dissipate the heat. The usual one that is used is the KB electronics sealed VFDs for this application. Also some from Automation Direct. Almost all lower priced VFD's are made in Chine, so it appears you want the cheapest which equates to lowest quality. HY is a brand, they make different models. Limited to no technical support and difficult to return if it fails. Automation Direct are a bit better made with decent manuals and tech support.

Non-NEMA4

I recently acquired a 1-1/2 hp Harig 612 surface grinder and decided it was time to move from SPC to VFD. I splurged and spent $65 on a 3 hp Vevor. The only programming I had to do was change the default frequency from 50 to 60 Hz. Works perfectly and the motor braking was a nice surprise. No more waiting a minute and a half for it to spin down. I did take care to mount it out of the line of fire.
My SB Heavy 10L is next.

I have been using the vfd listed in post 5 on my surface grinder with no problems. The manual isn’t great , but if you go to you tube they have a video that covers basic set up. If you are planning a complicated set up follow mksj recommendations. With any of the cheaper ones treat them as disposable.

Back