Bench vise improvement?

m1kemex

Registered
Registered
I had a few points on my credit card and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. So a few tools followed me home, including a 6" bench vise. It's exactly the same model Home Depot sells for about $70 (https://www.homedepot.com/p/OLYMPIA-6-in-Bench-Vise-38-606/205149972), just from a local brand.

Thing is, I noticed something was off right away, but at first I couldn't tell what. So I decided to take it apart.

Can you see what the issue is?
knova_visa.jpg

Well, let me help you: this is a budget tool and it really shows.

First, there are no machined surfaces on the swivel mechanism, so not positive engagement between the mating parts. Second, it was designed to use the bolt retaining the nut as a (very loose) pivot for the base, and just one clamp to keep it locked.

In itself, I think this is a pretty decent tool for the price. The castings are good and beefy. I'm just thinking: could it be improved with some machining? It seems like there is enough material to make the mating surfaces flat and put a small step / recess, so the head swivels on the periphery instead of the central bolt. But I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

What do you think?

That is not only the same system as my Babco vices, but the foot and arrangement is identical. To be fair, they are fine for the (very) few times I ever need to swivel them. A word of caution though, never, ever be tempted to hit anything clamped in that vice hard with a hammer as you will almost definitely break the bench mounted foot.

Also, you will need to determine at which angle you want the foot, so you get the swing you want.

Looking at the photo above, the foot is shown with the "horseshoe" upside down. In that position, the top right hand bolt-ear for mine when it was bench-mounted (before I got it) pointed to the front of the bench to give the best swivel option. Most do it so you view the horseshoe as being upside down from the front, so the solid "web" of the centre is at the rear.

Of course, the "Best" option is to make a new foot along th lines of the "Fireball tool" swivel vices (See Abom79 on youtube for his build on a fireball tool vice)

I think it could be improved with some machining. You could probably make a second locking screw as well. I'd put the open-end of the horseshoe towards you, or mark that position as that's going to be the strongest position for hammering against the fixed jaw.

The best place to mount a swivel vise is on a post.

GsT

I have a new mill coming, so for me it would be a project just for the fun of it. In addition to machining the rotating surfaces, I would also look into milling a flat on the front of the movable jaw and installing a thrust bearing (such as a flat needle bearing running between two hardened washers--sold as a package by McM). I did that with an old Wilton mechanic's vise that I salvaged from a maintenance cart (which I'm using elsewhere in my shop). It's a little misaligned, so it's on the to-do list to make a few small corrections. But even so it works much better than it did.

Many of the import vises use castings ripped off from classic American-made vises of the past, but without the machining (or, in some cases, the ductile iron) the originals would have received. Even the big brands did this--I have a 90's-era Wilton-branded vise that is obviously a Columbian with castings made here, but that Wilton finished minimally to sell at a price point. Wilton bought Columbian and apparently continued to make them as their budget offering.

Rick "need to get that Wilton screw into the lathe for some touching up" Denney

The best place to mount a swivel vise is on a post.
But for me, mounting the vise on a post negates the need for the swivel. I have never been satisfied with any typical swivel vise that was bench mounted as the bench always ended up in the way. I found an old Wilton like the OP’s and an old Craftsman 8” woodworking vise rusting away in a bucket. I took them both to work and used them and to my surprise the most useful ended up being the woodworking vise with stepped UHMW jaws. When I left I brought them home and mounted the woodworking vise to my portable bench workstation and it is my most used vise. The Wilton sits on a shelf. My “big” vise is a 4” two jaw vise which I find to be more useful than a typical bench vise. I guess it all has to do with the kind of work you do and the way you do it. It is mounted on a stand on the back side from my 2tn arbor press and is basically locked in place.

1728049933943.jpeg

Back