Bench Grinders

jbolt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A few years ago I inherited a Baldor 7" bench grinder from a friend whose father had passed away. His father was a wood turner and he used it to sharpen his turning tools but the grinder is in like new condition. It is a 1800 rpm model which I'm finding too slow to get aluminum oxide wheels to work well for grinding HSS. The best wheel I have found so far is a Norton white aluminum oxide with a H hardness. It cuts pretty well but it's softness makes it wear really fast.

So I'm thinking of re-purposing the Baldor to a buffer and getting another bench grinder in the 3400 - 3600 rpm range. Looking for a recommendation on a reasonable priced 6" grinder in the $200 - $300 range.

A few years ago I inherited a Baldor 7" bench grinder from a friend whose father had passed away. His father was a wood turner and he used it to sharpen his turning tools but the grinder is in like new condition. It is a 1800 rpm model which I'm finding too slow to get aluminum oxide wheels to work well for grinding HSS. The best wheel I have found so far is a Norton white aluminum oxide with a H hardness. It cuts pretty well but it's softness makes it wear really fast.

So I'm thinking of re-purposing the Baldor to a buffer and getting another bench grinder in the 3400 - 3600 rpm range. Looking for a recommendation on a reasonable priced 6" grinder in the $200 - $300 range.
Having come from a wood working (and wood working tool sharpening) background, I would have loved to have gotten a large 1750 RPM Baldor, as it is ideal for those tools. I bought an import grinder for ~$75, but had to spend another $70 on a wheel balancing kit to get it to run true. I run a pink and a blue Norton wheel on it and it is great for sharpening. Now it's almost as good as a Baldor.

Anyway, there's a market out there for 1750 Baldors and it should bring good money if you want to hassle with selling it (a lot more than it would cost for a decent import 3500 RPM grinder). My $0.02.

Agreed. A low speed grinder, especially of that grade, is worth far more as cash than as a buffer. I don't know what you're planning on buffing but a 6-7" wheel at 1800 RPMs won't get you even half the SFPM that is recommended for any common metals according to one chart I checked, and barely reaches the low end of the chart for another (which bears the disclaimer that the higher end of the indicated range will be best for most situations). My experience certainly agrees with that.

I'm glad to hear your experience though as I had considered trying to find a slow speed grinder to replace mine with a bent shaft on one side (and which is too scratched from years without a wheel or cover to get a read from an indicator to find and correct the bend, and isn't good enough to be worth the effort anyway).

Having come from a wood working (and wood working tool sharpening) background, I would have loved to have gotten a large 1750 RPM Baldor, as it is ideal for those tools.

I'm confused. As a wood turner I concur with this statement. HSS wood turning chisels are generally sharpened on an 1800 RPM "slow speed" grinder. Is not "wood working" HSS the same as "metal working" HSS? I would have thought that grinder would be perfect for sharpening HSS regardless of application (wood or metal).

Most hand wood working tools are high carbon steel not high speed steel hence the slow grinder. Some of the better wood lathe tools are HSS but the older ones don't seam to be.

Greg

I use a 1725 grinder to cut HSS, it takes a little time but is easily doable. I have 2 white stones , one 60 grit, one 120.
I find it ok, But I am a woodworker, and metal worker. I use it to cut all my HSS lathe blanks for my South Bend.
I would keep the Baldor. Get yourself a tool grinder to grind carbide .. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd much rather use the slower grinder. If it's not cutting like you want, go to a more open wheel.

Not all wheels are created equal.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Back