Bench grinder tool rest modifications

bhusted

Registered
Registered
I've been looking for a bench grinder to use for grinding HSS lathe toolbits for a while. I came across this grinder on craigslist and it seemed to fit my needs. It runs smooth as silk and I've fitted a new 7" wheel. The issue I'm having is that the tool rests are not adjustable for angle and are very small. I was thinking of making a 1/4" steel table surface maybe 4" x 4" to mount to the original rest and give me some extra support. The rests can be adjusted in and out but the top remains on the centerline of the wheel. To grind the relief into the tool, I'd like to tip the tool rest 4-5 degrees. Should I mill the original cast iron rest for the angle or make a new tool rest?

obikoK5k4lbS9kdhiGPqyu1h5IGXSNvE6xXilliJPeKsrZSbmUyz1xboD6bzc330o2uiDElMEYwKqrZVFSAOQu0boxzcWAeCYiOjqwqB8jlyUKj732kLDZzguXd5qcUv-4v-A47V1e8=w1000

7mbw8f_3GYQk8lUXDP4tPojQL1dPlqKlh3cxYmooXjyoZnHBvc-11RmZN5nROeOyoCSZjEvWHbmNdwWLnTaraaKVp8SuWfwiVEd50VTzQqSt6ADVoVY3WUg1aLOgZFk6lFFynJf8iYw=w1000

w0byc3mQakW_DVQG9vP_8M3AfaJv5cTpEJnJBH-9RIAdkD-HHPq_mEptaF0JS2QeCTxsKkm3U4vSZbiMTHsGLgERe-4kLefc2KUHO5E4rB9xbu0hQaK3KrrjVwR2R4DGzYg89aiPX58=w1000

You could build a platform like you speak of, and make a "Harold Hall rest" to turn that bench grinder into a tool grinder. Search the term on this site, there are some good examples to be seen.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll certainly take a look at both of those.

It is not visible, but I think I had one just like it, but cannot remember the brand/make.

That looks like a good project to build yourself.

John
I had one just like that at my shop downtown on a Delta Triple Duty grinder, a very good tool. It was not cheap 20 years ago, and is quite expensive, for what it is now.

Back