Ball Turner, using a boring head

8ntsane

Active User
Registered
This ball turner is the over the top type. T have several boring heads laying around, so this was my quick and easy way to put together a ball turner. The arbour was a M/T #3, and I just turned it down straight. The holder was a spare boring bar holder for the QCTP, so no point making what I already have. The only parts I had to make, were the hub that attaches to the end of the arbour, and a handle to attach to the hub. I also machined up a holder to use the carbide insert.

Quick and dirty, but why not just use stuff that is laying about anyway?

ball turner 03.jpg ball turner01.jpg ball turner 04.jpg ball turner02.jpg

Looks simple to make and spare stuff justo laying around is pretty common here as well.
Pierre

Yup, slicker than glass. I like any project that re-purposes material and uses stuff I already have. Excelent idea and use of your stock.

Bob

You are a slick one 8ntsane - very clever, and great using found-underutilized materials in your shop! Even better, I have the same two spare pieces of equipment!

You are making my "home made tooling" TO-DO list very long man!!!!!

Bernie

Thanks Guys

When I switched over to the Sidney lathe, my old ball turner wasn't going to work. I figured, I didn't want to build a tool that I would need help lifting onto my lathe. The compound turret on my machine is 8 1/2 inch od, and uses 4 bolts to hold it down.
The QCTP, and boring head is light weight, and will do the same jobs my old one would do. In fact, there was a advantage I found right away. With this type, I could cut balls, and do radius jobs up close to the chuck. My old ball turner allways needed the work hanging out a fair distance, and this isn't good for a ridged setup. I works all the same, and I found no down side at all. If I needed to do a job that needed a large radius, or ball. No problem, switch over to a larger boring head, the arbour s all interchange.

G'Day,
Interesting timing, I did a similar thing last week, my first attempts were a little elliptical as in your photo but raising the ball turner another 5mm overcame this.

bt1.JPGbt2.JPGbt3.JPG

Regards,
Martin

bt1.JPG bt2.JPG bt3.JPG

had to make a bunch of spheres years ago...just loosened the compound and went to town

You guys inspired me to get started on mine this week!

Bernie

Back