[How do I?] B&S Surface Grinder Stepper Motor Power Table Feed

bcap55

Registered
Registered
I have a Boyar & Shultz 6x12 surface grinder that I want to add a table (x-axis) power feed driven with a stepper motor.
I don't have any experience using stepper motors and the controls for them, so I will need the forum members help with
choosing the right components and wiring everything up correctly.
This is what I have now in electrical parts.
IMG_4070.jpg
VFD to power the 1HP 3 phase surface grinder spindle motor
24v power supply
Nema 23 stepper motor 3 N.m holding torque 4.2 Amp
Stepper driver
Single axis motion controller

I will be ordering an E-stop button and a momentary on-off switch.
I also need to get a 24v contactor to handle the 230v feed to the power supply and the 1 HP, 230v, 3 Phase, 3.5 amp
spindle motor.
Does anyone have a suggestion as to which contactor I should order?

Here is the surface grinder I will be converting to a table power feed.
IMG_3691 - Copy.jpg
This is where I will be attaching the servo motor mount under the saddle.
IMG_3696 - Copy.jpg
I used the existing slot in the saddle to locate the top part of the mount in line with the table feed shaft.
IMG_4020.jpgIMG_4021.jpg
IMG_4025.jpg
I had to make longer inner and outer shafts for the pinion gear and drive pulley. New shafts are in the center of photo.
IMG_4066.jpg
The pinion gear shaft is on a kind of shock absorbing torsion bar setup I assume to dampen the forces on it when the table is stopped at each end of it's travel. A set screw goes through the outer shaft and locks the bar in place on the flat spot.
IMG_4062.jpg
This is the extended housing for the new shafts to run through. I have a needle bearing in the end to support the outer shaft and will be adding a dust seal on the end like the grinder originally had. You can see the complete stepper motor mount here also.
IMG_4059.jpgIMG_4060.jpgIMG_4056.jpg
Here are photos of the timing belt-pulley enclosure to keep the grinding abrasives off of the timing belt assembly.
IMG_4047.jpgIMG_4045.jpgIMG_4041.jpgIMG_4044.jpg
This is where I am at now in the project, next I will start with the wiring when I get more parts in.
Stay tuned because I will have questions about the correct way to wire the components needed to make this work.

Back